Mystery Dead Battery [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Dead Battery

Ajaxus
08-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Alright, my battery is dead for the second day in a row.

No interior lights on, no exterior lights on. Nothing plugged into the car.

Connections to the battery are solid, no corrosion on either of them.

There is some severe corrosion though on the bolts holding the battery in place. Should I assume there is a leak and that is the culprit? Is there anything else to check?

It should be noted, I jumped it yesterday, ran it for about a half hour, turned it off and it started right back up. Today though after it sat all night..nothing, battery is drained completely again.

Also on another note, the starter has been going out for awhile, could this be a cause at all?

kse73
08-13-2008, 12:41 PM
You do realize clipping the battery to your nipple w/ jumper cables drains the battery, right?

Ajaxus
08-13-2008, 12:45 PM
You do realize clipping the battery to your nipple w/ jumper cables drains the battery, right?

I haven't been doing that lately either.. :hay:

pkron05
08-13-2008, 01:56 PM
I have this very same problem usually once or twice a year also. Very interested to find the cause of this problem.

gectek
08-13-2008, 02:16 PM
well there are a few things...the starter could be causing it, but you need to check a few things first. #1 if you have a volt meter, put it on DC and check the batt to start out with. then have someone turn on the car while you watch the meter. you should see an spike, then it should charge, depending on how bad the state of charge is, up to 14.8 volts...
If you get no charge and the batt stays at a constant voltage, then ur alt is out.
also these side post batteries are very bd about internally discharging themselves...by internally i mean between the 2 posts inside the plastic case. or sometimes the cells will short across causing it to internally discharge. You need to make sure that you have no parasitic draw on the batt, for instance, if you have an amp meter, or have an amperage function on your volt meter, then connect it in line with the positive batt cable...red to the batt and black to the batt cable, and you should see no more than .050 amps being pulled. if there is any more than that then you have something else that is staying on. alot of times it is the voltage reg on the alternator. a good way to test that is to unplug the alt and let it sit over night. if the batt is NOT discharged, then it is a fault of the alt. if not then you have other problems with something else staying on and have to start pulling fuses until the drain stops. Also ONLY do the amperage draw 30 mins AFTER the car has turned off...and dont leave your meter connected in line and open the door, itll either blow the meter, blow the lead, or blow your fuse in the meter...make sure nothing is on

Ajaxus
08-13-2008, 03:47 PM
I said **** it and took it to the mechanic, I'll let them sort it out. Will report back on the culprit when I get my car back.

DrFabulous
08-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Brand of batt?

Ajaxus
08-13-2008, 04:38 PM
http://www.tripleaexhaust.com/images/interstate_85.jpg

note: not this same exact model, lol

PhantomLover007
08-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Just because urine is sterile doesn't mean it's denatured water A.J..... lol

You can't use it to top off your batteries.