Need help police really needed on taillight question! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need help police really needed on taillight question!

himfanzach
08-16-2008, 08:38 AM
i was pulled over for taillights long story short there illegal and not street legal.. theres been something like 23 bol in the last yr and first time being pulled over..
now does anyone know if the tailgate lights that are for trucks are legal or approved by the nhtsa?
i found a 36" that would fit perfect under trunk lid..
please let me kow ASAP
thanks
Zach

kse73
08-16-2008, 09:30 AM
i was pulled over for taillights long story short there illegal and not street legal.. theres been something like 23 bol in the last yr and first time being pulled over..
now does anyone know if the tailgate lights that are for trucks are legal or approved by the nhtsa?
i found a 36" that would fit perfect under trunk lid..
please let me kow ASAP
thanks
Zach

Were they tinted? Normally as long as the brake light is visible for so many yards, you're all good. Not sure what other restrictions you'd have to worry about.

himfanzach
08-16-2008, 12:34 PM
no all shaved and led tail light strips in back window does everything thats y they didnt impound my car.
from what they were saying my flush mount tails were illegal also!!

Bryan
08-16-2008, 12:58 PM
I thought you had the Cobalt tails in there?

Nick-G
08-16-2008, 01:09 PM
You should post a pic of the back of your car I would like to see whats so illegal about it

DrFabulous
08-16-2008, 01:16 PM
You should post a pic of the back of your car I would like to see whats so illegal about it

click on his cardomain link

kse73
08-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Ah...far too low to the ground. I don't know what the specs are, but that is kind of extreme.

Looks like you've turned it into a trailer only show car now.

PhantomLover007
08-16-2008, 01:22 PM
The pics aren't that great, so can't get a decent decision on them....

Ajaxus
08-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Yeah, those are a bit low to the ground if that's your current setup..

himfanzach
08-16-2008, 01:37 PM
yeah click there i had flush mounts at bottom and then did cobalt then redid everything and just had that bright thrid brake light in back window as only tail lights. it did turn signals and every thing becausei still had the computer thingy from my flush mount tals

PhantomLover007
08-16-2008, 02:04 PM
That's why they got you. The 3rd brake light is only a secondary light. The tails are the primary....

timberwoof
08-16-2008, 03:02 PM
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar19/ch6.html

IC 9-19-6-4
Tail lamps
Sec. 4. (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section:
(1) a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer; and
(2) any other vehicle that is drawn at the end of a train of vehicles;
must be equipped with at least one (1) tail lamp mounted on the rear that when lighted as required in this chapter, emits a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred (500) feet to the rear.
(b) Only the tail lamp on the rear-most vehicle of a train of vehicles is required to be seen from the distance specified.
(c) A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, and any other vehicle drawn at the end of a train of vehicles, excluding a truck-tractor, that is:
(1) registered in Indiana; and
(2) manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1956;
must be equipped with at least two (2) tail lamps mounted on the rear that, when lighted, complies with this section.
(d) A tail lamp upon a vehicle shall be located at a height of not less than twenty (20) inches and not more than seventy-two (72) inches.
(e) Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp must be placed and constructed so as to illuminate the rear registration plate with a white light and make the plate clearly legible from a distance of fifty (50) feet to the rear. A tail lamp or tail lamps, together with a separate lamp for illuminating the rear registration plate, must be wired so as to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7.

IC 9-19-6-5
New vehicles; rear reflectors
Sec. 5. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) through (d), a new motor vehicle sold and operated upon a highway, other than a truck-tractor, must carry on the rear, either as a part of the tail lamps or separately, two (2) red reflectors.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a motorcycle and motor-driven cycle must carry at least one (1) reflector meeting the requirements of this section.
(c) A motorcycle manufactured before January 1, 1956, is not required to carry a reflector under this section if the motorcycle is not operated at the times when lighted head lamps and other illuminating devices are required under IC 9-21-7-2.
(d) A vehicle of the type listed in section 7 of this chapter must be equipped with reflectors as required in those sections applicable to those vehicles.
(e) A reflector must be mounted on a vehicle at a height not less than twenty (20) inches and not more than sixty (60) inches as

measured in the manner set forth in section 2(b) of this chapter. Except as otherwise provided, a reflector must be of the size and characteristics and mounted so as to be visible at night from all distances within three hundred fifty (350) feet to one hundred (100) feet from the vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7. Amended by P.L.63-1994, SEC.3.

himfanzach
08-16-2008, 05:35 PM
i understand the reflector part but that 3rd brake light is actully 2 differnt led strips one for right and one for left each work the same for park and brake but differntfor turn.
they all work..
need to measure how high they are but dont theink there over 72".
the ones at the bottom of the bumper were removed like 6 months ago had 2 many scares with people almost hitting me i think they were like 12" off the ground at the high point of the lights.
i should be ok with either dot or nhtsa approved correct?

YALEROYNOT
08-16-2008, 10:22 PM
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/YALEROYNOT/img055.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/YALEROYNOT/img054.jpg

himfanzach
08-16-2008, 10:30 PM
thanks bro
yeah there crappy phone pics but u see there bright and couldnt get turn signal pics but they go off then on.
did notice that my licese plate light wasnt working ooops.