Power window, regulator or motor? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power window, regulator or motor?

DarkKnight
08-18-2008, 02:30 PM
My driver's side power window stopped working a few weeks ago. It's all the way up, but won't go down. I don't recall hearing nay noises or anything. I decided to replace the switch first because it was broken anyway, and as I suspected it didn't fix the problem. I could hear the relays click when I tried to put the window down, so I was pretty sure it wasn't the switch.

So anyway, I'm not clear on what part of the power window assembly the regulator is. I'm certain of what the motor is, but when I look up pictures of the "regulator" it looks like the entire power window assembly. I had always assumed the regulator was an electronic part, but I guess not.

Anyway, the window doesn't move and as cooler temps are headed our way, I'd like to use the A/C less.

Can anyone recommend what I should replace, or what the regulator is?

DarkKnight
08-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Strange, it just started working today...? Goes up and down like normal.

Elderas
08-20-2008, 05:50 PM
its most likely an electrical problem then. so double check the wiring make sure its not corroded

cks20
08-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Mine did the same thing - work one day but not the next. Turned out the plastic clips were cracked on the regulator (not the sash pieces on the glass) which caused the glass to get slightly 'twisted' in its track, and then become jammed. The 'auto down' feature would think the window was all the way down (I think it measures current draw), so the window would not move. Check the white plastic clips on the regulator - you may have to use a mirror to see them.

Narragansett55
08-21-2008, 11:38 AM
cks20 - sorry if this sounds ignorant, but how do you get to the regulator to see the clips?

nbaglior
08-21-2008, 03:22 PM
you have to pop the door panel off. It pretty easy. Take the switches back out. Pop the trunk button out, and the tweeter. Take the trim off the handle by taking out the screw. There is another screw behind the reflector at the bottom and one more where you took the switches out. then lift up a lil and pry and the door panel should pop off relatively easy.

Tank33
09-10-2008, 03:16 AM
Bringing this thread back to life.

My passenger side window on my coupe will roll down all the way just fine, but the moment you touch the button to roll it back up, you can see the whole window "slant" towards the rear, and it starts to go up on an angle. It will make it about 3/4's of the way up until the angle simply becomes to great, or it jams into the rubber strip on the door pillar.

So are these clips my problem as well??

I was thinking about replacing the entire assembly, motor and all, as I am very fussy and just like to do everything brand new even if only one part needs to be done. I figured I might as well anyways as my passenger side window motor is noticeably weaker then the drivers side motor. I found these:

http://monsterautoparts.com/PONTIAC/GRAND%20AM/1999_2005_Pontiac_Grand_Am_Coupe_Window_Regulator_ Motor_Right.htm

Is it an easy process to change out the entire regulator, motor, and track, the whole 9 yards, or is it true that you have to drill out revits, and put back in new ones to change everything out, as I have heard? Any help on this much appreciated, thanks!

juanvan
09-10-2008, 07:08 AM
It is very easy to change these regulators - i can do the whole thing door removal, change and replace in about 20mins. Don't need to drill, they are all 10mm

I would check your set up to see if its the window regulator clips that are broken or the clips on the windows. I guess both are problems on our cars, pending your production year.

redhotalero
09-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Is there a sticky on this -- like a walk-through of changing them out? I too have that problem (drivers and rear pass. windows, happened within days of one another). I took the panel off but wasn't sure where to proceed from there...

dooder85
09-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Bringing this thread back to life.

My passenger side window on my coupe will roll down all the way just fine, but the moment you touch the button to roll it back up, you can see the whole window "slant" towards the rear, and it starts to go up on an angle. It will make it about 3/4's of the way up until the angle simply becomes to great, or it jams into the rubber strip on the door pillar.

So are these clips my problem as well??

I was thinking about replacing the entire assembly, motor and all, as I am very fussy and just like to do everything brand new even if only one part needs to be done. I figured I might as well anyways as my passenger side window motor is noticeably weaker then the drivers side motor. I found these:

http://monsterautoparts.com/PONTIAC/GRAND%20AM/1999_2005_Pontiac_Grand_Am_Coupe_Window_Regulator_ Motor_Right.htm

Is it an easy process to change out the entire regulator, motor, and track, the whole 9 yards, or is it true that you have to drill out revits, and put back in new ones to change everything out, as I have heard? Any help on this much appreciated, thanks!

Mine has the exact same problem, creepy. I ripped the panel off and the regulator is all twisted/bent to ****, so the window has no hope of ever going up properly again. In fact, if I put the window down i can feel it press against the panel - ugh

Anyways, up against a replacement, quoted 600.00 at the dealer, 300.00 by the community garage