NO START and Stranded [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : NO START and Stranded

BenGTH.O.
08-19-2008, 01:25 AM
Ok today i came back to my car about a hour after i left it. there was a puddle of antifreeze by the passenger tire. i added some today but i prolly over filled it. I checked my oil and it was good. the oil wasnt milky like a blown head gasket and the coolant resevoir was still full. I got in the car and turned the key and nothing. I mean it didnt make a single noise at all. My battery seems good, my headlights are still bright. Im thinking it must be the starter or starter celenoid. I tryed jumping the celenoid with no luck. Please help. by the way the car is a 99 grand am gt.

alerored04
08-19-2008, 01:40 AM
Mine did that the other day. I wiggled the battery cable and she fired right up. Hasn't done it since. It was very odd.

juanvan
08-19-2008, 03:00 PM
With the lights on do they dim when you try to turn it over?
If so, then there is just something wrong with the starter, or it could be bound in the fly wheel.
The solenoid makes it so the teeth push forward into the flywheel to 'engage' the bendex.

KhellendrosxS
08-19-2008, 03:07 PM
First things first:

Clean. The. Cables. (its easy and free)

Your lights may be on and bright but that doesnt mean the starter is getting the proper voltage as well. Over time corrosion occurs under the red boot so be sure to take the cables off and give them a good cleaning.

Second:

Is the red "Security" light on? If so do a search for Passlock to find out how to reset it.

Lastly:

While you may have a LIM leak it prolly has nothing to do with the coolant you saw. The overflow is on that side of the car and if your coolant got hot after you filled it past its full line (which it prolly did on your way to wherever it is now) it just expanded and flowed out the tube and made a puddle while you went inside.

You can get some UV dye and dump it in the coolant and clean up the engine bay at a car wash (dont get the alternator wet) and drive it for a day and shine a black light around to see if you have any leaks. The leaks will glow under the blacklight. If you are still loosing coolant and you arent seeing anything on the outside you are probably leaking it into the crankcase oil or there is a leak in the heater core. Either one should be looked at ASAP.

BenGTH.O.
08-19-2008, 04:49 PM
i replaced the starter today and she fired right up, turned it off and tryed again and got " click "click". Checked my battery .002 v. I exchanged my battery and the car started right up and ran for a few minutes, i turned it off and went in to get a drink came back out and tryed to start it and got "click" click", i checked the battery again and got less than a volt. Something is killing my battery so fast, i got it towed to the gm garage today.

juanvan
08-20-2008, 10:09 AM
humm thats strange - report back when you have the answer - might be a bad ground heating up..

BenGTH.O.
08-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Turned out that the cables on the starter werent tight at all. My buddy put the starter in cause he was the only on who was small enough to fit under the car lol. He said he got every thing really tight but the garage said they were really loose, so its kinda weird. I can only start my car 2 or 3 times before the starter get over heated and i have to wait for it to cool down. Im gonna have to take my BRAND NEW starter back tomorrow and get another one.

SPAZ
08-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Never take someone's word without double checking thier work. May that small bastard by you lunch now for what you shelled out.

Can you say battery sale !

~ SPAZ ~