broken throttle cable [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : broken throttle cable

klobbs
08-19-2008, 11:18 AM
hey guys,
I was driving to VA from NJ and my throttle cable (the one that connects to the pedal) snapped about 6 inches from the throttle body. Sooo I rigged up a shoestring, threaded it through under the hood and through the driver side window. Six hours later I pulled into my driveway, my wife and brother in law thought I was crazy.

Anyway...I ordered the part, wondering if anyone has changed one of these things before. What do I need to watch out for, what can I do to make it easy to thread back through the firewall? Thanks!

SSRacer
08-19-2008, 11:22 AM
I hear ya McGuyver...lol

mr03SCT
08-19-2008, 02:43 PM
i am pretty sure this was one of the recalls for the grand am....you might want to look into that.

juanvan
08-19-2008, 02:57 PM
*Pull Shoelace Go Faster*

It should not be that hard to fish thru the firewall - I would go from Pedal thru firewall to the throttle body

PhantomLover007
08-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Cool quick fix man.... lol

At least it worked.

Malaclypse
08-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Tie a piece of string or mechanics wire to the end of the cable you'll be pulling through the firewall. Then remove the cable until the string is easily reached in the engine bay. Tie this string to the proper end of your new cable and pull it back through the firewall.

You may need a second person to feed the cable... but it'll make things so much easier.

laxjax13
08-20-2008, 05:39 AM
Just for clarification. When you purchase the new cable you arent just getting the cable. You are getting the entire black piece that goes with it so it isnt very hard to install. I think it cost somewhere between $25-30

juanvan
08-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Ya it will be the whole thing black sleeve and all