ABS/SVS lights, no obvious sounds [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ABS/SVS lights, no obvious sounds

darkshines
08-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Here's my issue.

I drove my car to work normally, no sudden stops etc, and parked my car. 7 hours later, I get off my shift, start up my car, and the ABS/SVS/TRAC OFF lights are on, so I assumed it was a bad wheel bearing. But I'm not getting any loud sounds or grinding whenever I'm turning, so I'm not sure if that means anything.

The only sound I can think of is that I have a repetitive squeaking sound out of one of my wheels (I think it's the left one) for the past few weeks. But it's terribly quiet, as in I can only hear it when I turn my stereo off, roll the windows down, and happen to be on an empty road, it seems to go away as I increase the speed. Makes the same sound regardless of whether or not I'm turning.

About two months ago I got in an accident with a meridian sign and had to have my front bumper, right fender, radiator, engine cradle, ac/compressor, and some other minor things replaced. The wheel bearings and assemblies were checked and they said they looked fine. And about two weeks ago, I had to dodge a dog on the road and popped up onto the curb at a pretty low speed. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the car at that point, or since. Except maybe that the steering wheel isn't at a neutral position anymore, it's always a few degrees turned to the right. And if I return it to the normal position, the car pulls to to the left. However, I'm not sure if it was always like this, or if it's from my accident, or if it's from popping up onto the curb.

Also, I've noticed as of late sometimes it feels like I break traction around gentle corners, or it feels like maybe my engine shifts into drive from neutral when I come around a corner. For example, I'll slow down before a corner, maintain light throttle, and then as I exit out of the turn, it feels like my wheels jerk. Almost like they're regaining traction. But it doesn't feel like I'm breaking traction, nor does it sound like it. Keep in mind I bought new tires a few weeks back, and they're a brand I've never tried before. I'm unsure if any of this is at all related to the ABS/SVS problem.

Still think it's a bad wheel bearing? Also, since I don't have any sounds when I turn, how can I tell which bearing it is?

Lastly, how dangerous is it to drive like this? I don't drive very much, about 10 miles a day on the weekdays. I just don't want my wheel to pop off or something. I'm not exactly familiar with the dangers of bad wheel bearings.

Thanks in advance,
Amir

darkshines
08-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Anyone?

stewartfn18
08-29-2008, 05:55 AM
SEARCH....But if i were to take a stab at it, id say wheel bearing.

Roush GT
08-29-2008, 06:10 AM

agreed. there are some good threads on bad wheel bearings, search a bit. you may also check the alignment.

here http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1237614

juanvan
08-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Wheel bearing don't need to make sounds to go bad.
But once those lights come on its usually them.

The electronics can short/die become unresponsive..

darkshines
08-29-2008, 01:32 PM

agreed. there are some good threads on bad wheel bearings, search a bit. you may also check the alignment.

here http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1237614

I DID search, and I read the sticky. The reason I made this thread is because I didn't hear any loud sounds which seemed to accompany the bearing problem in everyone else's threads, i.e the airplane sound, or the grinding sound and feeling. When I turn, I hear no sounds other than the obvious sound of rubber contacting cement.

I'll check the alignment.

Wheel bearing don't need to make sounds to go bad.
But once those lights come on its usually them.

The electronics can short/die become unresponsive..

Thank you, I was under the impression from the other threads that the sounds were an obvious way of determining the issue. And what do you mean when you're saying the electronics can short/die? What electronics? Thanks.

Lastly, if this is a bearing problem, how am I to determine which side it is if I can't hear anything from either wheel?

Thank you.

juanvan
09-03-2008, 09:18 AM
I would take it to have the code read - that will tell you what side is having the problem.
Auto Zone or similar company can do it for free usually.

Well there is a harness connecting to the wheel speed sensor. I have never taken them apart to look so I don't know whats all included or could go wrong.

stewartfn18
09-03-2008, 03:10 PM
I would take it to have the code read - that will tell you what side is having the problem.
Auto Zone or similar company can do it for free usually.

Well there is a harness connecting to the wheel speed sensor. I have never taken them apart to look so I don't know whats all included or could go wrong.

autozone scanners wont be able to pick it up if there is a svs light. only ses lights