tempermental keyless entry [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : tempermental keyless entry

Unknownprotocal
08-24-2008, 12:31 AM
ok... situation: sometimes the keyless entry works... sometimes it doesnt. I know for a fact that the battery is good in the remote. I replaced it not long ago and at autozone they have a rf tester to see if it is transmitting when you press the buttons. I have cleaned the contacts in the keyfob, and tested it endlessly... it seems fine. Im inclined to believe there must be something wrong with the reciever on the car. When it does decide to work, it only works within about ten feet of the car. If it's raining it wont EVER work. I dont know where the reciever is, I've heard its in the back dash but i havent been able to find it. It doesnt make much sense to me, and the dealership seems adament that there is no way it could possibly be the receiver and blame the keyfob... but both of my keyfobs do it... is there an antenna somewhere? what could be the problem?

PhantomLover007
08-24-2008, 12:43 AM
There is a fuse panel on the dash where the drivers side door opens up. There are 3 black "block" fuses that control the keyless entry/door locks. They are grouped together. Swap them around to see if the opposite of what is happening to you now goes on. If this happens, then you know what fuse to replace. Sorry I can't be specific on this... I don't have my Chilton's manual w/ me right now... lol.

Check out this thread... http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63706&highlight=door+locks

Unknownprotocal
08-24-2008, 06:36 PM
any ideas on the range issue? is there any way to boost the signal? i know it should be able to work farther away than 5 to 10 feet

PhantomLover007
08-24-2008, 08:02 PM
If the swapping doesn't work in diagnising the problem, then more than likely, it is the receiver.

juanvan
08-25-2008, 12:22 PM
When I replaced my battery on the keyless is too became semi-working.
Turned out to be a busted soder joint on the batter connections that go thru the board.

Edit: Could also be the fuses. but that would also hold true for the electric locks when you unlock/or lock