Leaking Brake Calipers [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Brake Calipers

Mike Jung
08-25-2008, 09:18 AM
How often do stock type Brake Calipers go bad ?

I had both front ones replaced this spring (along with rotors & pads).

A month later found one was leaking (brake fluid).

Now I find out that the other one is leaking.

Both times the garage is changing them out for no-charge.

juanvan
08-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Umm unless your hitting something that hitting the caliper piston rubber they should just about never go bad... Humm did they put new ones on? or were they remaned?

Mike Jung
08-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Umm unless your hitting something that hitting the caliper piston rubber they should just about never go bad... Humm did they put new ones on? or were they remaned?
They were suppose to be new (I think).

juanvan
08-25-2008, 01:36 PM
wow Thats some cheepie.. (made) I did have one freeze - but it sat open over a winter, should have changed the pads before storing the car.

LAXstar47
08-25-2008, 01:39 PM
you might want to check to make sure the valve that releases air out of the line is closed all the way, but if that was the problem the brakes wouldn't work to well period

Mike Jung
08-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Turns out, they were re-built's.

But the shop foreman claims the stock type calipers are junk.
They are made of aluminum & have a high replacement/failure rate.

Malaclypse
08-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Turns out, they were re-built's.

But the shop foreman claims the stock type calipers are junk.
They are made of aluminum & have a high replacement/failure rate.

Heh. No? I've only ever seen one factory caliper leak/seize/etc in six years of dealership employment. Is this an aftermarket shop or a dealership?

Mike Jung
08-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Heh. No? I've only ever seen one factory caliper leak/seize/etc in six years of dealership employment. Is this an aftermarket shop or a dealership?
My OEM factory calipers went bad, the Raybestos calipers that I replaced them with were going bad, & the re-built ones I was using went bad.

It is not a dealership.

But they do specialize in GM vehicles (& work on others too).
They are also an "Approved AC Delco Training Center"; what ever that means.
& part of a major AC Delco franchise with General Motors (Canada).

Cliff8928
08-25-2008, 11:38 PM
That's nuts! I still have my 17,300 mile old calipers in the garage in a box if you need some new ones.

lone_wolf025
08-25-2008, 11:51 PM
It can happen, but remans that come from a manufacturer are typically just as good as new ones. If they're leaking like that after the replacements, my thought would be to look at other aspects. As for me, I've had the car for over two years and I've had one caliper replaced due to a binding piston.

Leaking calipers is actually uncommon in my experience. Look real hard at the rest of the system.

juanvan
08-26-2008, 11:21 AM
Your going thru some calipers.. Maybe a block in the line thats not really bad could be causing a problem...

Have they all leaked like this?

Malaclypse
08-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Here's a thought... Any kind of fluid contamination can wreak havoc on a braking system. If a different fluid like power steering fluid was added by accident at a lube place it could eat up seals.

Theres not really any sure direction to point the finger, but you may consider having the brake system flushed.

Mike Jung
08-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Your going thru some calipers.. Maybe a block in the line thats not really bad could be causing a problem...

Have they all leaked like this?
Eventually...they all leaked a little.

Here's a thought... Any kind of fluid contamination can wreak havoc on a braking system. If a different fluid like power steering fluid was added by accident at a lube place it could eat up seals.

Theres not really any sure direction to point the finger, but you may consider having the brake system flushed.
Yeah, I got the brake fluid flushed & changed when I had the Raybestos calipers, rotors, & pads installed a few years ago.

I also had the brake fluid flushed & changed this spring too.
When I had the calipers, rotors, & pads changed again.

Actually, I have had the brake fluid flushed & re-fill each time I have had the brakes done.
3x in 10-years.

juanvan
08-27-2008, 08:47 AM
have you ever replaced the master cylinder..
Thats the last piece in this...

What about the rears ne problems there?

Malaclypse
08-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Just sounds like a string of bad calipers at this point.... No idea man.

gaowners32
08-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Iv replaced mine once a year.....but I beat the **** outta mine

juanvan
09-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Anything come of this?

Mike Jung
09-03-2008, 11:07 AM
have you ever replaced the master cylinder..
Thats the last piece in this...

What about the rears ne problems there?
Still the factory original master cylinder.

No, problems with the rears.
The rears are drum brakes though; & still factory original.

Anything come of this?
Replaced the calipers.

So far ok **cross my fingers**.

Mike Jung
10-19-2009, 08:09 AM
I dropped (now) my Mom's Grand AM to the garage this morning.

For noise in the rear drum brakes, & now the brake warning light is on.
& there was a fluid leak.

It's back again :(

(& this spring they replaced the front-right caliper for free (under warranty), when doing a safety inspection for ownership transfer to my Mom.)

Turns out the front caliper(s) are leaking.
Causing the brake fluid level to drop.
Just started noticing spots on the driveway last week.

The garage is going to change out both front calipers for FREE (under warranty) for me :D
They are going to use a different brand of calipers this time.
The owner of the company is going to be writing a letter to GM about the AC Delco brake calipers.
As they are an "Approved AC Delco Training Center".
& a major AC Delco part wholesaler for the area.

& they recommended a service/cleaning/adjusting of the rear drum brakes.
The rear drum brakes are still factory original at 11.5-years old & 147K km/91.3K miles.

juanvan
10-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Well that is good they are going to change them out for free - But still does not explain how they came to leak again... Very lame..

BOOTMASTER
10-19-2009, 08:44 AM
sounds funny to me, mike.... i got around 190000 on mine with the stock calipers still working just fine.

AaronGTR
10-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Yeah, that is kinda weird. Definitely not a normal problem as I can't recall hearing of anyone else having that happen, much less more than once. Mine never leaked, but then I only had them on for about 32k miles before they got replaced. :D They did get driven hard during that time though. Wore the pads down to nothing and grooved the rotors, but the calipers were fine.

Saber326
10-23-2009, 04:13 PM
mine just developed a slow leak at 130k. they are pretty cheap to replace. gotta love those domestic parts :D.

Malibu Glow
10-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Mike, it's probably a problem at the place that rebuilds the calipers, more than likely they are having a problem that they've not caught yet. I've run into getting rebuilt Calipers and even Master Cylinders that went bad months after replacing, it's a remanufacturing problem. Whether it's the process used in honing the caliper or pitting that's tearing the seal inside on the piston, it's definitely a quality control issue that shouldn't even let the defective ones go out the door.