Need help to get my 1993 SE running again. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need help to get my 1993 SE running again.

Randy G
09-02-2008, 07:04 PM
What happened: It was driving fine then I parked it for a month before I remembered to start it up. It would turn over but it just wouldn't catch. Plenty of gas and battery is topped up.

The another month later I went back to it, but now it won't turn over, it won't even make that starter "catch" sound like a bad ground connection. The battery will operate anything electrical: radio, wipers, lights.

OK, so where do I start to see what the problem is, if it's something basic? Thanks.

juanvan
09-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Start with lights on turning over the key - See if there is load being taken by the starter - If the headlights dim. Next if they don't dim - its a ground issue/bad starter(maybe)

Check your grounds - try again - if it still does not work, check your starter - Pull it off and bench test. (Pos to leed - Grd to case)

If the starter turns over - Check the Signal wire (smaller one(s)) - make sure the starter is getting the 'go' signal. (the fuse is under the drivers dash)

That is where I would start..

cardude007617
09-03-2008, 10:37 AM
sounds simple but it sounds like your battery isnt charged. at work iv seen cars that everything electrical works "fine" but keep in mind, the starter takes ALOT more power than lights wipers and the radio takes..... try to charge it or jump it or get the battery tested