Throttle body install? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Throttle body install?

xshenanigansx
09-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Hey i just bought a 65mm Throttle body from mpracing, just wondering how to install it? any how to's? anything? lol havent got it yet but just wanted to know/see what im getting into

Nick-G
09-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Just take the bolts off the old one and replace it with the new one thats about all their is to it.

99gav6
09-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Make sure to trim out the gasket to, an exacto knife works very well.

lone_wolf025
09-05-2008, 09:12 PM
There's more to it than just plug and play, unless you bought the tb with all hardware included. I have one laying around in my room right now because I don't have access to a dremel tool to fix the stock throttle plate holder on the car to fit the bigger plate. So until I can, it does me no good to mess with it.

A new gasket is recommended, but you shouldn't have to use an exacto knife on it. If you remove the old gasket, just make sure both surfaces are clean and as undamaged as possible. Also, double check all your bolts to make sure they're properly torqued once you put the new TB on. I didn't and when I started up the car I had a loud "screaming" vacuum leak from around the TB. I didn't realize it until I started loosening the bolts to take it off and one was already loose ^^;

stewartfn18
09-06-2008, 11:13 AM
here ya go:
http://60degreev6.com/forum/f115/diy-throttle-body-walkthrough-t32520

lastryghts
09-06-2008, 11:31 AM
actually you probably will want to cut down the gasket with an exacto knife. Once you line up the gasket to the TB you will see the bore on the gasket should be opened. I also trimed the top of the gasket down a little.

stewartfn18
09-06-2008, 12:03 PM
actually you probably will want to cut down the gasket with an exacto knife. Once you line up the gasket to the TB you will see the bore on the gasket should be opened. I also trimed the top of the gasket down a little.

as well as the opening on the UIM for the Tb

AaronGTR
09-06-2008, 12:50 PM
If you bought the version that is assembled with the throttle plate in it already, then you won't have to mess around with removing and modifying the center shaft. You will probably have to swap over the throttle position sensor (TPS) and idle air control (IAC) though.

You might need to get a new gasket. Old ones that have been on the engine a long time are usually pretty baked and compressed and sometimes stick to the surfaces and rip apart when you remove them, so it's a good idea to get a new one so you don't get any vacuum leaks.

You WILL need to trim the gasket as well to match the bore diameter of the new TB. Once you've done that you'll need to match the gasket up to the inlet on the upper intake manifold and trace the new inlet diameter with a permanent marker. Take off the UIM, then it's time to break out the electric drill and some sanding drums and port out the opening until it matches the circle you traced. You can get sanding drums here porting kit (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-G1060&N=700+4294925139+4294838951+4294854481+115&autoview=sku).

If you don't intend to port match the UIM, there's no point to getting the TB because you won't gain any flow and you'll just add a lot of turbulence. Or you can save yourself the time and effort and get the ported UIM that's already port matched for the 65mm TB from WOT-tech.

Also I haven't seen anyone mention this yet... if you haven't already done the TB coolant bypass you'll need to do that because the 65mm TB doesn't have the coolant connections like the stock TB.

xshenanigansx
09-06-2008, 03:13 PM
dayum... lol i was thinkin' just a simple take out the old TB, trim and install new TB... guess not haha

AaronGTR
09-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Yeah, nothing actually worth doing is that easy. People used to buy those TPS enhancers because they were fast and easy to install. They did absolutely nothing though and were a waste of money. Anything that's actually gonna give you some HP is going to take some time and effort to install and will not be cheap if it's a good quality part.

Jake
09-08-2008, 10:33 AM
You will probably have to swap over the throttle position sensor (TPS) and idle air control (IAC) though.

Hey Aaron, or whoever can answer this, yesterday I put on my p&p uim and 62mm tb and I switched out what I believe is the TPS, but which one is the IAC, as you can see in my picture, the one missing is the one I switched onto the other 62mm tb, should I have switched the other one to? The one that has the ???'s by it. The car runs fine, but on a cold start idles at about 1100 Rpm's and hisses a tiny bit until it warms up, then it idles at the regular 750 and everything is normal. Will switching that one out as well solve my problem? Thanks :)

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/6537/img0130mx3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/6537/img0130mx3.73d40bdbc5.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=391&i=img0130mx3.jpg)

Lab Rat
09-08-2008, 11:38 AM
The other (???) is the IAC. It needs to be swapped also. Are you just running it with a hole there now? It will effect your idle and make noise also.

Jake
09-08-2008, 11:39 AM
The other (???) is the IAC. It needs to be swapped also. Are you just running it with a hole there now? It will effect your idle and make noise also.

Ok I will swap it then, no the one that was on the 62mm tb when I bought it is still there, I just didnt swap on my stock one. Thanks :)

AaronGTR
09-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Yeah, that is the IAC. If your new TB didn't have one on it, then the IAC should be switched over. If the new TB already had one then it should be ok. If you are having idle problems though, there might be something wrong with it so you can trying swapping them. If the idle issue persists then it might be something else.

Sometimes the throttle plates stick a little on the new billet TB's. You need to adjust the throttle stop set screw so that the throttle plate will close all the way but still opens and closes smoothly without sticking. After doing this, you usually need to teach the pcm the new throttle range, so that it knows what is 0% and what is 100%. This is how you do that... with the car off push the throttle all the way to the floor. Still holding the throttle down, turn the key to the on position but don't start the engine, hold it there for 10 seconds then turn the key off. Release the throttle and wait 10 more seconds, then turn the key to on again for 10 seconds without touching the throttle, then turn it off again. Repeat this process three times. That's the throttle position learn procedure.

Jake
09-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah, that is the IAC. If your new TB didn't have one on it, then the IAC should be switched over. If the new TB already had one then it should be ok. If you are having idle problems though, there might be something wrong with it so you can trying swapping them. If the idle issue persists then it might be something else.

Sometimes the throttle plates stick a little on the new billet TB's. You need to adjust the throttle stop set screw so that the throttle plate will close all the way but still opens and closes smoothly without sticking. After doing this, you usually need to teach the pcm the new throttle range, so that it knows what is 0% and what is 100%. This is how you do that... with the car off push the throttle all the way to the floor. Still holding the throttle down, turn the key to the on position but don't start the engine, hold it there for 10 seconds then turn the key off. Release the throttle and wait 10 more seconds, then turn the key to on again for 10 seconds without touching the throttle, then turn it off again. Repeat this process three times. That's the throttle position learn procedure.

Thanks a bunch dude :thumbs:

xshenanigansx
09-24-2008, 06:15 PM
okay I got a little update:
I now have:
1. 65mm Assembled Throttle body with gaskets!
2. Coolant bypass kit
3. 65mm Ported Upper Intake Manifold with included gaskets

Is this all I need to install my new Throttle body? Or do i need anything else?

TFA
09-24-2008, 06:28 PM
negative. install the new UIM, hook up the bypass kit, trim the gasket, bolt-on and enjoy