Problem with car help!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Problem with car help!!

blondiez24gt
09-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Alright My car has driven great for the last month. The only problem it has is the sending unit is bad, and the fuel gauge oesn't work right. Anyways I was driving down the interstate with My cruise set at 70mph, and all the sudden its starts slowing down. I gave it gas, but it didn't have enough power to accelerate, It just kinda slowed the deceleration down a bit. I pulled over, and shut it off. Then I started it back up. It ran kinda rough, and shut off after idleing for about a minute. My Husband came and We started it up again, it ran for 20-30 seconds then shut off. He started it again and it runs for like 1 or 2 seconds then shuts off. Now it will just start and shut right off. He thinks it may be the fuel pump. Does anyone have any ideas what This could be? Thanks for any help.

tenspeed
09-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Try a fuel filter first. The fuel pump could be on the way out but if it was dead, the engine wouldn't ever start.

blondiez24gt
09-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Ok I feel like an idiot! My Husband took a gas can out there and put 3 gallons in it, and it started right up, and made it home. I just filled up at a gas station the day before yesterday, I guess there pump must of been broke because it kicked off at 5 gallons of gas, and I've put 211 miles on since then. Before it ran out. So I'm guessing it clicked off before it was completely full. So since I have no working gas gauge, I should probably keep better track of how many gallons of gas are in it. lol

rustyballs_69
09-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Just use the trip for when you fill up. I have the 3400 in my Alero and I usually fill up at 250 miles. My gauge says I still have a 1/4 of a tank left but I never go by my gauge. They are very known to not read right.

2001GrandAmGT
03-18-2011, 08:57 PM
i dont kno if this applys to this thread but my friend has an alero and the gas gauge stopped working all together. i was wondering how would you fix this. all the other gauges are currently working just not the gas gauge. hope someone has the the answer...thank you