seafoaming top-end of engine? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : seafoaming top-end of engine?

blondiez24gt
09-09-2008, 12:14 PM
I had one quick question. What part of the pcv valve hose do You suck the seafoam through? Also when Running the seafoam through the top of the engine do You have to change the oil afterwards? I'm not putting any in the oil, but I was just wondering. Thanks

SSRacer
09-09-2008, 12:43 PM
The top-end cleaning does not require an oil change. You are just using the engine vacuum to pull it through the intake system, cleaning the valves and what not.

I actually just pulled the PCV valve out of the valve cover and submerged it in a cup of the stuff.

Going to do the crankcase (oil) before my next oil change here soon. Did the gas tank too.

hass
09-09-2008, 02:07 PM
I usually do all three at once.
Well.. I fill my tank then put a can of seafoam in it.
Then once it gets to about 1/3 of a tank, I do seafoam through the PCV and then crankcase...

Then at the end after about 30-40 miles of the low fuel light being on, I fill her up on gas.. run it for about 10 miles (to clear all the fuel w/ seafoam out of the injectors and what not)...
Then oil change it.

blondiez24gt
09-09-2008, 09:21 PM
alright thanks for the help Guys. I did the seafoam thing a lil bit ago. I was expecting a bigger smoke show than what I got. Barely any smoke came out. It only smoked for maybe 2 revs then it quit. When it did smoke it was a very little amount. It does seem to run a bit smoother though.

hass
09-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Right after you put in the seafoam, you let the car sit for 15-20 minutes without the engine running?

DLISH
09-10-2008, 07:06 PM
carefull with seafoam, use it sparingly, it destroys spark plugs and has been known to kill catalytic converters....

i suggest when using it DO NOT pour in alot at once just be very easy with it. and if pouring in gas tank be advised because this stuff is very harsh on injectors as well

i refuse to use seafoam ever again because it has destroyed so many of my spark plugs and just destroyed my 4th cat, but im assuming its my fault for probably sucking up too much at once

hass
09-10-2008, 07:57 PM
it has destroyed so many of my spark plugs and just destroyed my 4th cat, but im assuming its my fault for probably sucking up too much at once

I don't know, all my plugs are still clean and gaped as stock (only about 7k on them so far) barely any wear on them.
Still running stock cat, and it cleaned the hell out of my system tbh.
Improved my mileage a ton.
At least 11-12 mpg after my first run through.

Considering it was the only thing I did other than an oil change....
Nothing else I can think of that would have done anything like that.

blondiez24gt
09-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Yea I shut it off, and let it sit for about 20 minutes after I sucked it through the vacuum hose. I only sucked up about 5 ounces. It said 1/3 of the bottle, and thats just about what I did. After I ran it all out by revving it up, and driving it for a little bit. I changed the sparkplugs. It does seem to be slightly smoother at idle. I will see if My gas mileage has changed any, but I wasn't getting that bad of gas mileage to begin with. I usually average about 24 mpg thats about 60% highway, and 40% in the city. I usually drive the same route everyday, so results are usually pretty similar.

SSRacer
09-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Apparently there is something wrong with my car, because I drive it like a damn grandma and only get 21 mpg out of it. Filled up this morning: 290 miles on 13.8 gallons.

blondiez24gt
09-11-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't know? I just fill it up till it clicks off, set the odometer. Then when I need to fill up again I fill it up till it clicks off. I divide the miles by how many gallons it held. It usually comes out around 23-25mpg. So average would be 24.