Fan turn on [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fan turn on

LAXstar47
09-10-2008, 12:40 PM
hey i'm working on ordering my tuned pcm from MPracing , the only thing I don't really understand is when it says Fan Turn On @ key off. can someone explain what this means? or what a good setting to go with is?

thanks for all your help

cardude007617
09-10-2008, 12:45 PM
that means how long you want the fans to run once the car is turned off. it basically helps cool the engine down faster. they will ONLY go on if the car was at operating temp, so they wont cool down a "cold" engine.

McFlurrey06
09-10-2008, 01:41 PM
IT'S a good idea. The average people get it set for is 180 seconds, 2 minutes. sorry fo the bad typing im going it from my phone.

DrFabulous
09-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Its a great idea to have. I wish mine was a little longer, 2 mins would be good

hass
09-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Mine from a DHP PCM is two minutes.
That proved SO VERY useful when my car was having a leaking headgasket + a LIM.
Since it would overheat and stuff, and isntead of being on the side of the road forever waiting for it to cool down, I'd just crank the key to ON... then turn it back to off, two minutes later, repeat.
After 3-4 times, the car would be back to 190-200 and I'm good to go

Only thing that is a little goofy, is that whenever you get out of the car after a long drive and they turn on, you usually get hit by a blast of warm air coming from under the car/the wheel well. nothing major or anything... just good to know the fans are working ;D

DrFabulous
09-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Mine from a DHP PCM is two minutes.
That proved SO VERY useful when my car was having a leaking headgasket + a LIM.
Since it would overheat and stuff, and isntead of being on the side of the road forever waiting for it to cool down, I'd just crank the key to ON... then turn it back to off, two minutes later, repeat.
After 3-4 times, the car would be back to 190-200 and I'm good to go

Only thing that is a little goofy, is that whenever you get out of the car after a long drive and they turn on, you usually get hit by a blast of warm air coming from under the car/the wheel well. nothing major or anything... just good to know the fans are working ;D

Yeah, pulling in the garage after a long drive and then turning it off is a good way to get blasted by the underhood heat lol

Mike Jung
09-10-2008, 10:01 PM
...Only thing that is a little goofy, is that whenever you get out of the car after a long drive and they turn on, you usually get hit by a blast of warm air coming from under the car/the wheel well. nothing major or anything... just good to know the fans are working ;D

Yeah, pulling in the garage after a long drive and then turning it off is a good way to get blasted by the underhood heat lol
x2 lol

I come off the highway everyday after work.

IIRC, Mark from MP Racing has mine set up to come on for 30-seconds after key OFF, when the engine coolant temperature is at/above 185F/85C.

Note: The stock (for the 3400 V6 engines) thermostat is 195F/90C.
So if my car is up to normal operating temperatures: the low speed cooling fans will come on during key OFF for 30-seconds.

DrFabulous
09-10-2008, 10:03 PM
x2 lol

I come off the highway everyday after work.

IIRC, Mark has mine set up to come on for 30-seconds after key OFF, when the engine coolant temperature is above 185F/85C.

Note: The stock thermostat is 195F/90C.
So if the car is up to normal operating temperatures: the low speed cooling fans will come on during key OFF.

I have 30 seconds too.... and I've jumped out of my car and dropped my phone, then when I go to bend down and grab it my face gets torched lol

I might bump it up to 1.5 or 2 mins tho

I have a 195 stat, think I should get lower? Its pretty new, so I know its in good shape. I cruise at about 205.

Mike Jung
09-10-2008, 10:11 PM
...I have a 195 stat, think I should get lower? Its pretty new, so I know its in good shape. I cruise at about 205.
If it was me...

Since you live in MN.

I would leave it at the stock temperature thermostat.

I wouldn't want it to open too early in the deep freeze of winter lol

DrFabulous
09-11-2008, 07:07 AM
If it was me...

Since you live in MN.

I would leave it at the stock temperature thermostat.

Yeah, That kinda what I figured

hass
09-12-2008, 01:57 PM

Why is that?
I ran last winter in Buffalo with a 180.
Not sure how much worse it is in MN versus here...

Only thing that sucks is the heating not getting as warm as it did with the 195 :P

specialwoman30
10-06-2008, 01:35 PM
I havent noticed my fans coming on after I turn the key off. Is there something I dont know about?

DaRkWaVe
10-06-2008, 01:39 PM
I havent noticed my fans coming on after I turn the key off. Is there something I dont know about?
Unless you have upgraded your PCM, your stock PCM would not turn the fans on after you remove the key.

specialwoman30
10-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Oh ok thats what it is then. I havent changed the stock PCM.