what to do + what effect will this adjustment have [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : what to do + what effect will this adjustment have

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
09-10-2008, 09:35 PM
i was told by ( a ) MRZ company >> The black metal piece inside the strut tower is not perfectly centered into the strut tower witch is leading to an unequal gap around the covers that we can see in the pictures, We got your pictures, thanks for sending them out fast. I have identified what seems to be the problem on the strut covers install. The black metal piece inside the strut tower is not perfectly centered into the strut tower witch is leading to an unequal gap around the covers that we can see in the pictures:

The cover has about 1/8 lip all around where the O-ring is inserted for a tight fit over the strut brace. The gap around the black piece centered is about 3/16. In the pictures, it looks like you have about 1/8 on a side and about 1/4 on the other. Usually this piece is perfectly centered and it has nothing to do with the strut mounts.

Now to have this black piece centered perfectly:

- Raise one front wheel lifting the car with a floor jack. Do not raise it under the suspension arm. You want to suspension to have no tension on it.
- Loosen the 3 strut nuts, do not fully remove nuts, just loosen a couple of turns so the strut become a bit loose
- Move the black piece to the center of the strut tower hole the best you can. You can remove the wheel to help you acheive this.
- Screws the nuts back again keeping in sight you need to center the black metal piece, take care to not overtight these.
- Check back cover fitment.

and then ( b ) another member who installed his STB cap covers after having the same small fit problem,When I installed my strut tower covers I just slightly loosened all 3 nuts (one side at a time) put the cover on and lightly rocked the car back and forth untill I could get it to fit snug all the way down. Then just tighten all the nuts back down and then did the same for the other side.

who's right as far as to how to approach this adjustment ? and will it through off my alignment ?

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
09-21-2008, 10:56 PM
this is one of my front strut tower which would need adjustment of the top of strut in order for me to snap down my MRZ billet strut tower covers.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
09-23-2008, 06:30 PM
turns out i finallay ask a gm mechanic and he said it would not change alignment. and MRZ emailed me today with some specs and said no effect to alignment.