car wont start,need help asap [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car wont start,need help asap

spicoli
09-13-2008, 04:49 PM
2004 Pontiac Grand Am gt with 40,000 miles.I was driving it at 230 this afternoon and at 430 it wouldnt start.Wouldnt start with a jump or anything.I was messing with the keyless entry fob cuz it stopped working,could that have triggered some security bs?The car wont turn over at all,but the fuel pump primes like normal.I have roadside on my insurance and warranty but I dont have a phone number for either of them yet :lol: Im at home and the car is at work,what the **** should I do?

K WeRd
09-13-2008, 04:52 PM
mine sometimes does this. if you turn the key to on, does it still do the chime? if not, i believe take out the radio fuse out of the passenger side and put it back in. that always works for me.

spicoli
09-13-2008, 04:53 PM
mine sometimes does this. if you turn the key to on, does it still do the chime? if not, i believe take out the radio fuse out of the passenger side and put it back in. that always works for me.

nope no chime.The lights still work,ac and heat still works but the radio doesnt seem to work.No time or display shows up

Mendoza
09-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Is the security light flashing? If so turn the key on and leave it there until the security light stops blinking usual takes about 15mins.

K WeRd
09-13-2008, 05:00 PM
pretty sure thats what mine does too. haven't had to fix mine in a while though. i either did what i stated above or under the hood, i removed the ignition fuses and put them back because they must have wiggled loose. but since the radio isnt coming on, i'm leaning towards the fuse. try taking out B fuse on the driver side then putting it back. then try H fuse on the passenger side and putting it back.

spicoli
09-13-2008, 05:22 PM
the other keyless remote doesnt work either,my gf just tried and its not working either.Now what?

K WeRd
09-13-2008, 05:24 PM
she tried the fuse thing or just the other fob?

Metallman56
09-13-2008, 05:39 PM
try this

Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.
Observe that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.
Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'off' position.)
Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for no less than 11 minutes.
Turn key to off position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.
Repeat #1 - #5 for 3 cycles.
On 4th attempt, car should start.

mine did this once. this was what i had to do. ty pfyc.com

spicoli
09-13-2008, 05:41 PM
she tried the fuse thing or just the other fob?

just the other fob and key.

K WeRd
09-13-2008, 05:47 PM
if the security light is on, do what is stated. if not do what i said. it should work. you'll know if it'll work if it was the fuse because the trunk should pop open if you tried to pop the trunk. and the chimes should come back on.

good luck with everything.

spicoli
09-13-2008, 06:07 PM
thanks for the help guys.As soon as it stops raining im gonna head back to the car and see what I can do.If not then il have to wait until monday to get ahold the the warranty company and insurance to get it towed and worked on.

spicoli
09-13-2008, 10:48 PM
it wasnt the security or anything.I called warranty company and had roadside assistance tow the car to the dealership so it can hopefully get fixed monday or im getting a rental.

jordGT
09-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Hey can you please post what it was when you find out from the dealer. My cars not starting and i believe it not to be the security issue. thanks would really help out.

spicoli
09-16-2008, 10:43 AM
turns out the car got wet and the dealership is trying to track down a short in the computer or wiring somewhere.The service writer I talked to said they got the car to start but it dies again.

jordGT
09-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Hmmm interesting! Keep us posted im curious to what they come up with in the end. Still havent gotten mine running yet!

theflash4740
09-21-2008, 05:53 PM
ill tell you like i told the other guy, i literally just fixed this problem with my car yesterday. car wouldnt start at all and would only start when i give it gas. I replaced the idler air control valve. 54 bucks at autozone, took the old one out and replaced it...starts perfect everytime. let me know what you think.

jordGT
09-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Hmmm interesting, i acually got mine running today! For some freak reason i decided to try and start it and it was just cranking for a couple times and then finally on the third time it started! seems like its not runny very good ideling at about 700rpm. Is that normal?

PhantomLover007
09-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Dammit. Mine won't start now. I have gotten intermittent security lights, but I would shut down the car and then it would go away. It won't crank over at all, but I have power and I have have all the chimes and what not.

PhantomLover007
09-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Okay. Got mine running again. I luckily had my code reader stuffed into one of the seat pockets... lol I tried the radio fuse on the passenger side and had no luck. Ran codes and got ERG, fuel, O2 snsr, O2 htr, comp, and 4 other things. Cleared the codes and still had 5. Checked all my fuses to make sure that they weren't loose and reseated them, as well as wires to the strter and battery. Called Fab (yeah, I stole his number form on here... lol ) to see if he was by his computer (he wasn't, but it was cool talking to him for the 1st time). Tried the only other thing I could think of.. relearn the PCM since I had a computer error and that got it on the 1st go round... wahoo. lol

jordGT
09-25-2008, 07:12 PM
So it was to do with your pcm? Mine wouldnt start for the longest time, then finally started! Im wondering if mybe i have a loose connection or maybe my pcm needs to be reset or re-programed

PhantomLover007
09-25-2008, 07:22 PM
^^ Yeah. I followed the steps that Metallman had in the 8th post and I got it to work.