Car not starting need help please [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car not starting need help please

jordGT
09-13-2008, 09:53 PM
i DROVE TO WORK LAST WEEK PARKED IT AND WENT TO LEAVE THAT DAY AFTER WORK AND NO START. IT ROTATES BUT DOESNT START. i TRIED THE ONE PASSLOCK RESET WERE YOU PUT IT TO THE RUN POSSISION AND LET IT SIT FOR 11 MIN THEN WAIT 30 SECONDS AND STILL NOTHING. iVE TRYED IT ABOUT THREE TIMES IN A ROW. WOUNDERING IF THERE IS MAYBE ANY OTHER WAYS I CAN TRY AND RESET IT. iVE CHECKED THE FUSES AND REPLACED THE FUEL FILTER AND I CAN HER THE FUEL PUMP INGAUGE WHEN I TURN THE CAR TO RUN. jUST NO START, ANYTHING GUYS I NEED TO SAVE MYSELF A BIG AS* TOW BILL.

Mike Jung
09-13-2008, 10:08 PM
My recommendation:

Join CAA.

http://www.bcaa.com

Wait for the join period wait time; then call for a tow.

jordGT
09-13-2008, 10:36 PM
personally i dont really care about the tow bill as much its just that my cars gunna be in my shop that i work at for another week cuz im gettin a complet paint, and i have some time to try abd get it started, need some suggestions thanks!

jordGT
09-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Anyone have any ideas? Theres no security light flashing eaither, would that signal out passlock or can it still be it if theres no security light flashing?

rakee
09-15-2008, 12:43 PM
I had a similar situation to what you described, except that my car would not turn over. The alternator had failed. Pull the alternator, get it bench tested. A rebuilt alternator sorted my issue immediately. I changed it in the parking lot in a few minutes.

Midnight GA
09-15-2008, 04:48 PM
As far as I can see, if the battery is charged enough to be cranking the engine then the alternator should have nothing to do with it. It could be anything from a loose connection to a bad module. Check over your connections, especially the ones on the ICM under the coil packs. If nothing is found, try to determine if you're injectors are firing and you are getting gas into the engine. Usually if you are, and the car isn't starting you start to smell gas at the engine after trying to start it for a little while. You can also find this out by just spraying some starter fluid into the Throttle Body while a buddy cranks the motor for you to see if it runs off of that. If you suspect your getting gas then check for spark. I have an extra spark plug lying around that I usually just plug into a coil wire, and set it aside somewhere it wont shock me to see if there's a spark, but you can really just set the coil wire by ground somewhere to see if it arks. If no spark then maybe the ICM crapped out. Do you have any way to check for codes? If you have no luck after checking these things you should join and ask over at http://www.60degreev6.com if you haven't already done so.

jordGT
09-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Ya the motor does crank over when you put gas into the throttle body and sounds like its running great to be onest! Ill check under the coils and see if i see anything, ya im pretty sure it has nothing to do with my alternator.

jordGT
09-15-2008, 11:04 PM
ICM stands for what lol?

jordGT
09-15-2008, 11:12 PM
could be possible for my fuel pump to burn out, i changed my fuel filter after this sittuation hoping that was the issue and the filter was really plugged, i could hardly blow through the thing. So i was woundering if that could have burned out my pump having to work harder to force fuel through. I can hear it come on for a few seconds but still that doesnt mean that its working to its full potential right? and still after the full pump kicks on it shud still send fuel to the motor wich i wud be able to tell from checking if theres fuel comming out were you check your fuel pressure? Correct?

Midnight GA
09-16-2008, 01:03 AM
ICM stands for Ignition Control Module (I think). It sends power to coil packs for each spark plug when it's that plugs turn to fire. It basically does the same job as the old distributors use to do. If the car is running with starter fluid then it is most likely a fuel related problem and not the ICM. Sometimes a fuel pump on its way out will get stuck when you kill the motor and have trouble spinning up again. What you can do is get under the car with a hammer, have a buddy crank the engine, and while it's cranking, give the gas tank some good whacks with the hammer. Be consistent, not big long strokes like you're hammering a nail, shorter hard whacks like as if your banging on someones door that you're mad at. Whack at it hard and fast, and it HAS to be while the motor is cranking. I know banging on a gas tank sounds like a bad idea but I've had a few fuel pumps freeze up on me like that and this usually got em to spin right up. Of course there are other thing that could be preventing you from getting fuel, but I would try this first since the car was running fine before you parked it. If it does start up, don't turn it off till you get it to where you need to take it. By the way, was it cold outside where the car was parked?

Midnight GA
09-16-2008, 01:12 AM
If that doesn't work your gonna have to check your fuel pressure with a gauge and check to see that your injectors are firing. The injectors I believe you can check with a meter. I'll check my haynes manual and see if it tells you how but you'll probably just be probing each injector wire with a meter and checking for voltage. I don't think passlock would be giving you a problem if the security light isn't coming on but I'm not 100% sure of that. If someone else here might know maybe they can chime in and clarify. By the way, I love those rims you've got on there!

jordGT
09-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks man, its in the paint sjop right as we speak getting a complete done. Can't wait to get it out. Ya ill have to try the hittin it with a hammer while i crank it over. i tryed hitting it a couple times then tryed starting it, it sounds like it wanted to go. But maybe while hitting it and cranking it over it might fire up. Ill try it tomorrow morning when i get to work, its at the shop i work at so i have some time to fiddle with it a lil. No it wasnt cold at all, it was accuallly a pretty nice day. Wouldn't the injectors be working if the car fired when i put gas into the throttle body?

jordGT
09-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Do you know if the grand am has a fuel pump shutt off switch in the trunk? Ive been told that it might have somekind of thing you pull to reset it or somthing. But i dont think there is, im pretty sure you csnt even get to the fuel pump from the trunk correct?

Midnight GA
09-17-2008, 02:47 AM
Hitting it and then starting it probably won't work. I've tried. It has to be while someone's cranking it. I don't know for sure about the fuel pump shut off but I don't see anything about it in my Haynes manual. The fuel pump is in the gas tank. You can't get to it from the trunk. You have to drop the gas tank. It's not too bad a job, but it's much easier if your tank is empty. As far as the injectors working, when you pour the gas into the Throttle Body your pouring it in through the air intake instead of spraying them out the fuel injectors so your bypassing them.

K WeRd
09-17-2008, 03:00 AM
i sprayed that car starter fluid into the intake when my car was hard starting and it fired right up. it wont bypass anything..still ends up in the pistons.

*edit..

didnt read your post right. you are right about bypass. but if the car runs after then the injectors SHOULD be fine.

jordGT
09-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Hmmm ya tried hittin it today and cracking it at the same time and no luck! Iunno guys im ready to take it into the dealer and hook it to the computer i really have no other ideas, but maybe my fuel rail or injectors are clogged! The only thing i did before this happed was a day or to before i put a different air filter on and the day before that ihad my resonator cut out of my borla cat back exhaust. Im pretty sure that would have nothing to do with it, i think anways!

theflash4740
09-21-2008, 06:46 PM
i just had that same problem, and just fixed it and now it starts perfect. From what i read i think your idler air control valve is bad. 54 bucks at autozone. took mine out replaced it, starts perfect. Let me know what you think.

jordGT
09-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Ya i will try thAT tomorro, was it an easy install?

theflash4740
09-23-2008, 07:23 PM
yea only took about 20 mins. only thing you need to be careful about is to make sure you have it faced toward the air intake and DONT lose the screws when you take them out! lol but other then that its textbook

jordGT
09-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Ya i replaced it and its a little better, idle's a little higher. What should it idle at? Any idea what this would be= i keep the revs up to about 2000rpm and then let off the gas fully and it seems to almost wanna stall out.The idle drops to about 500 and goes up to about 600 you can watcht he idle go up and down fa couple times then it seems to level out normal and idle at about 700 to 800rpm, is this normal?