Towing [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Towing

strings
09-15-2008, 01:04 AM
I have an '03 GAGT, 4 Dr, 3.4L V6 and I want to install a towing kit, preferably a Class II. Has anyone else done this? Anyone know a good place to find a good quality hitch assembly? I went to www.hiddenhitch.com, but they only have towing kits for the SE model. I also tried www.reese-hitches.com, and found 2. One of them was made by Draw-Tite, and the other by Reese, but they both looked different. Does anyone make a "Direct-Fit" hitch assembly?

Ajaxus
09-15-2008, 09:33 AM
I know somebody tried to sell one on here in the last few months, you may run a quick search in the For Sale section, IIRC it never sold.

Also, be sure you aren't towing anything too heavy, you can create some problems for the grand am if so as it wasn't really designed for hauling large loads (that's what she said).

alerored04
09-15-2008, 10:06 AM
If you have a Uhaul store near you they will have a direct fit kit for the GT. My brother put one on his car and at one point we towed two snowmobiles behind it for almost 100 miles. It was rough and wouldn't do more than 60 and burnt lots of gas but it worked.

strings
10-02-2008, 11:03 PM
I don't intend on pulling anything heavy with it, I just want to attach a bike rack, so I can do some trail riding up north. I definately DON'T want the bike mounted on top of my car, or have it connected to one of those bike racks that kinda hang on your truck.

eTrailers.com sells one that apparently fits all models, it's made by DrawTite. Anyone heard of them?

I got a second question as well. Is there a structural difference or frame design between the SE and GT? I know the other differences, but if you were lying beneath the back end of a GT, looking at the frame, and then doing the same with an SE...would they look the same or no?

juanvan
10-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Why not get one that will go on the back of the trunk of all your doing is taking a bike?

There should not be any differences in the frame from a GT to a SE. The hitch I have worked out really well for towing my jet ski and a uhaul to and from FL-PA. When you travel I would use 3rd and keep it around 55, saves gas and does not warm up the trans too much more then normal.

jaketuff
11-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Pondering pulling the Mustang on a dolly with the GAGT... anyone KNOW if this is too much for the ride?

Hitches out there...
1. http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/products/Class_II__1_1_4_inch_Trailer_Receiver_Hitch,36288
(same above used by U-Haul for rental on the GAGT)
...Quick research I think that this one is best...

JT

cardude007617
11-27-2008, 02:03 PM
wait... your thinking about towing a car with your grand am?

PhantomLover007
11-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Pondering pulling the Mustang on a dolly with the GAGT... anyone KNOW if this is too much for the ride?

Hitches out there...
1. http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/products/Class_II__1_1_4_inch_Trailer_Receiver_Hitch,36288
(same above used by U-Haul for rental on the GAGT)
...Quick research I think that this one is best...

JT

You'd have to do it later on down the road anyways if you did pull the GA w/ the Mustang... lol lol

Or just leave it on the roadside dead... lol lol

ryanbgb22
11-27-2008, 09:36 PM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r281/ryanbgb22/SN850676.jpg

Best pic I have. Its a uhaul. I've been pulling my jetski and fourwheeler for years. Its now going to pull my sled for this winter.

PhantomLover007
11-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Sexy GA Ryan.

gaowners32
11-29-2008, 03:53 PM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r281/ryanbgb22/SN850676.jpg

Best pic I have. Its a uhaul. I've been pulling my jetski and fourwheeler for years. Its now going to pull my sled for this winter.

Damn bro those rims look sick.

notsoaveragej0e
11-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Now post one with your ghetto wiring for the brake lights lol

ryanbgb22
11-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Now post one with your ghetto wiring for the brake lights lol

lol, that was only a one time thing, when the damn 2 to 1 tail converter **** the bed.

Tank33
07-17-2009, 09:16 AM
To bring this thread back a bit.

I am thinking about buying a quad, but I do not want to trade in the GA on a pickup as that would only add to the debt load, and I have already spent so much time and $ customizing this car, it would just be insanely stupid to get rid of it.

Could the GA handle pulling a small 200 pound trailer with a 600 pound quad on it?? My main concern is that it won't have the power to stay in overdrive, or it will constantly fall between direct and overdrive.

I wouldn't think one quad on a trailer just big enough for the quad would be to much?

juanvan
07-17-2009, 09:25 AM
I would say you have enough power to tow - Don't do in OD stay in the 1/2/3 - that will keep the transmission better. But 50~60 will be your max speed at about 3.5k rpm

Since your in Canada, the hill/mt will also take a toll on the tow.

I have towed a stand up jetski about a dozen times in PA kinda hilly, and 2 moving trailers over 1000K miles PA-FL and my trans is still going strong at 150K no problems.

This is an old thread, but good your searching and just adding..

IanGT99
07-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Quite honestly, man... I wouldn't even think about towing with the GA. I know the rating is like 1000 pounds, but the thing isn't made to tow. I had my quad for almost 3 years. We went out and found an old 93 Chevy full-size for $1000. There are tons of these trucks out there that people want to sell. Even if you get an R-title or a slightly wrecked one, you're just using it to throw the quad in the bed and drive it. The body can look like sh*t, but as long as the engine, tranny, and the rest of the drivetrain is strong, you're good. Instead of putting the money into a hitch, a trailer, and maybe installation (which all together could be over $1000), just go get yourself a beater, a cheap set of aluminum ramps, and some ratchet straps. Throw the quad in the bed and go have some fun in the woods...

ryanbgb22
07-17-2009, 02:48 PM
The hitch is cheap from ebay or online stores. Its easy to install. I've been towing 1500+ lbs in the form of 2 jetskis all summer and dont have much of a problem. (However, I don't really care much about the well being of the car either). Go for it, you won't have a problem.