Fuel pump dying/dead? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump dying/dead?

SonicTron
09-15-2008, 08:38 PM
I admit I ran my car low on fuel several times lately, sometimes til the gas light came on. Well anyways today I had about 1/8 a tank of gas in the car and I was going to the gas station and suddenly my car started stalling out. I put more gas in it and it still wouldnt start.

Got it back to the house, let it sit for several hours now it starts up, but it only runs for a minute or two if idling until it sputters out. I could just be paranoid, but I think I could hear some unpleasant sounds coming from the back of the car where the fuel pump would be.

So I'm thinking A) fuel pump overheated due to low fuel, which is why it wouldn't start again til it cooled off for a long time B) The fuel pump is now permanently damage which is why it won't idle anymore.

If I give it gas up to a certain RPM its good for a good 20 seconds then I can tell it starts to struggle and the RPM's start dipping unless I give it a little more gas and it clears up for the moment.

The car has 70k miles on it, never had any engine work or service done yet. But I'm pretty much positive that whats going on was due to me running the fuel pump into the ground.

So any other pointers would be great, maybe its not my fuel pump >.<

Anyhow, any idea what the cost to replace the fuel pump on a 2001 GA SE 2.4L would be? Is it something I could do myself (fairly mechanically inclined, definitely have the free time on days off, and most if not all the tools to do it). Please tell me this is something that will cost less than $500 :(

Thanks guys, please if anyone has any tips I could use them ASAP!

rustyballs_69
09-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Have you ever changed your fuel filter? If its dirty as hell then your fuel pump has to work extra hard to get the fuel through it thus killing the pump.

AleroME
09-15-2008, 10:10 PM
i have a stock fuel pump off my 3.4L. It has 40k miles on it. I changed out mine to a walbro aftermarket fuel pump for my turbo setup.

I'll sell it to you for cheap like 25 bucks shipping. Its been sitting my garage for 6 months now. very easy to change. If you get a haynes manual at autozone, you can do it yourself in a few hours.

Let me know if you want it. Better than buying a new pump at the dealership or somewhere for over a few hundreds bucks.

hass
09-16-2008, 06:51 AM
yeah, replacing a fuel pump at a shop would be just under 500. about 400-500 or so.

try a filter if you've never done that before.
but you'll probably have to replace the pump anyway.

How does the pump sound when it's running?
It's it a constant bzzzzzzzzzz... Or does it sound funky?

SonicTron
09-16-2008, 09:01 AM
got the fuel filter replaced, its still stuttering and stalling out.

Midnight GA
09-16-2008, 09:42 AM
I'd get a fuel pressure gauge on there and check to see if your loosing pressure when it dies before I went through all the work of replacing the pump. Could just be a bad fuel pressure regulator, or maybe not even fuel related at all. Are you sure the noises you're hearing is the fuel pump and not a slight backfire? Are you getting a check engine light? If you can get it to an autozone have them check to see if it threw a code.

Atran
09-23-2008, 08:40 PM
I have this same problem. I filled up my car all the way and was driving home and my engine suddenly cut out driving down my street when I was almost to my house. I tried starting it again and it stuttered and stopped again. I tried once more and got my car to the top of the drive way but the RPMs were dipping down pretty low like it was about to die and then would come back up.

00' GT.

jordGT
09-23-2008, 08:46 PM
So what happened? Did you figure out what it possibly was?

Pauljp
09-24-2008, 07:31 AM
I filled up my car all the way and was driving home and my engine suddenly cut out driving down my street when I was almost to my house.

00' GT.

Could that indicate water in the fuel?
Maybe try some gas line antifreeze first.
It will be the easiest and cheapest thing to try first.

flawpunk
02-10-2011, 06:02 PM
My 01 se1 stalled out today and had to tow it. Just like I thought my fuel pump kicked the bucket. Cost me a nice $800 at Midas