P0141 help please [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : P0141 help please

themadtongue
09-16-2008, 06:35 AM
Alright guys, a couple of days ago my SES light came on. Had it scanned and it brought up P0141, Sensor 2. Someone told me that though it comes up as the Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit, it's most likely that the O2 sensor itself is bad and should be replaced. The light has been on for 2 days

Got in the car this morning, started it up, and no SES light at all. It cleared itself out. Got it scanned again and no codes. Could an O2 sensor go in and out intermittently like this or is my problem more likely elsewhere? I actually already bought a new sensor but don't want to change it out if it's not necessary

Thanks for your help

hass
09-16-2008, 06:48 AM
I got the same code. It comes on, then off a day later... then comes on a few weeks later, then goes back off... then the next day, goes on... then goes off 2 days later.
It's random for me... I haven't bothered replacing it yet.
Lazy :\

FromTheInside
10-07-2008, 06:18 AM
Same here. It's malfunctioning and everytime it gives a reading that the computer obviously knows is ridiculous, your light will go on and then off after it sees that your sensor has been working properly.... It's on its way out. You may as well change it because your gas mileage is going to suck while your SES light is on. Your car is programmed to shift later to allow for less strain on the engine in higher gears. Therefore it will be like you have a heavy foot.

gagt Mechanic
10-09-2008, 09:36 PM
p0141 description: cold start up 02 sensor heater (inside 02 sensor) voltage is out of range (high or low resistance). the after cat 02 sensors have heaters in them because at cold start up they need the 02 sensors to burn hotter to not get gunked up, it prolongs there life. this code means that the 02 is not getting hot enough or too hot. the pcm measures this by voltage drop(resistance in cir). this will not cause you rough running sicn theses o2 measure cat performance not air/ fuel. the heater is part of the o2, to fix code, replace o2 95% of time. some times issue with wires/pcm. the heaters have a filliment in them that heat up, ever had a head light out that you hit it and it came back on. the filliment is broken, but if you jar it, you can compleat cir for some longer use, still bad.