Need help with teardown of 3400 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with teardown of 3400

stewartfn18
09-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Upon purchasing the spare block from Boost21 (nice guy BTW), i got it home and started the teardown. Well, the Cam is in two pieces with bearings getting in the way of me taking the rest out. My first question is how do i get the two bigger plugs out that are on the back. i got the smaller one with a 1/4 extension, but a 3/8 is too big for the other two. refer to pic:
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll164/stewartfn18/engine%20build/P1000542.jpg
as well as that, can someone thell me how to take the knock sensor out, the dipstick out, and after you take out the bolt, should the cam position sensor just pop out? thanks for the help guys.

boost21
09-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Damn the cam was broke on that thing? Never would of guessed that one. I'm still shocked that we got that thing in your trunk, esp with a sub lol

stewartfn18
09-16-2008, 06:54 PM
no kidding, oh well, its up on the stand now, where it will be for a while

Chris88CL
09-18-2008, 07:32 AM
I'd just grind down a spare 3/8" extension to fit personally, but Im sure theres a special tool.

As for the cam sensor, yeah after the bolt is out it should lift out with resistance. You may need to get a small flat head screwdriver underneath to GENTLY help it along.

The knock sensor just unscrews. Find some big channel lock pliars and have at it.

The dipstick can be a PITA. It just pulls out but they are in there tight. I found vice grips at a 90 degree angle as close to the block as I could get and hitting the vice grips with a hammer to work best for me. Just dont go so tight that you collapse the tube.

stewartfn18
09-18-2008, 12:08 PM
thanks

gectek
09-18-2008, 03:16 PM
yah they are a funny size...i believe that your snap on guy will have the right square plug socket for it...they are a 5/16 or close to that, but i think really they are metric...

stewartfn18
09-18-2008, 04:40 PM
well a couple of people have said to just take it to a machine shop anyway to have them take the rest out and im getting new bearings and theres no way in hell im doin that so ill let the shop do it. thanks for all of the advice though.