Sunroof Motor Dead - Need some advice [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof Motor Dead - Need some advice

Cormaster
09-16-2008, 07:05 PM
I know my car's not a grand am, but the sunroof installed in it is identical in every way shape and form to my Grand Am GT's sunroof. even the switch is identical. Now I don't know what happend but I let the wife take the car to pick up some pizza, and she came back and told me the sunroof's broke. I go out there and the thing is stuck open and won't close. The motor makes a little noise and the sunroof moves a little tiny bit but then stops. Keeps cutting out. This is something I need to get taken care of ASAP. So the question is how hard is this to do on yourself and where can you get OEM sunroof parts for cheap? I looked on ebay they don't have **** right now. Is it pretty easy to replace sunroof parts? Like maybe even the whole electronic assembly?

If I don't how much with this cost to have a dealership or a local shop look at. Best and worst case scenario's?

cardude007617
09-16-2008, 07:30 PM
its 478 off of gm parts direct + shipping

Cormaster
09-16-2008, 07:43 PM
yuck, god GM are scam artists. I remember one time I hit a racoon in my grand am and it split the fog light mount in half. Everything was still intact just needed to buy a new bulb and get a new mount. I went over the dealer to ask how much a little ****ty piece of plastic would cost and they told me "looks like its $98 for the mount". I laughed and said "Screw it I'll just epoxy mine back together". He laughed and agreed with me it was bs. I did that and it worked just fine.

I remember power window regulators were just as expensive from GM. Hopefully something comes up on ebay soon.

PhantomLover007
09-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Any thought of checking a salvage yard Cory?

Cormaster
09-16-2008, 07:47 PM
LOL I almost forget about them these days. Seems everytime I go to one they never have any cars newer than 1994... makes me wonder where all the nice new cars go when they get wrecked and totaled. I remember my first car, a 1989 Cavalier station wagon, I practically lived at salvage yards! It was kind of fun in a way. I remember giving the interior an upgrade with 1994 Pontiac sunbird seats! those were the days...

PhantomLover007
09-16-2008, 07:55 PM
http://car-part.com (http://car-part.com/)

ss88
09-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I had the same problem with my sunroof... The control module, or what ever its called. Usually you can get one for like 25-35 bucks online or at a junkyard, or at least thats what I found.

You said that it won't close. If you feel inclinded to do so, you can manually close the sunroof. Find the motor. With a screw driver pop the little plastic gear out of the motor(I think mine is red or white). That will free the mechanisim from the motor.
With an allen wrench, turn the gear (where you removed the plastic peice) and it will open or close.

****Keep in mind that if you do this, you might have a hard time realigning the window after you do this.
Good Luck

intmd8r
09-17-2008, 06:00 AM
Hmm... Sounds like another reason NOT to buy GM....;crap

Cormaster
09-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Hmm... Sounds like another reason NOT to buy GM....;crap

lol your telling me! I think the Cavie's going to be my last. I thought post 2005 vehicles were better but according to consumer reports, they still are some of the worst vehicles when it comes to reliability.

The grand am was bad, the Cavalier really has been worse. I haven't even owned it for 2 years yet and its just now at a little over 30,000 miles. Since then:

*ABS wheel speed sensors replaced - warrenty
*Break caliphers replaced - warrenty
*Gauge cluster replaced after tachometer died
*Cheap plastic windshield bezel cracked in 2
*CD player doesn't work right. sometimes I'll put a CD in and it'll go in half way and come right back out. Generally it'll play a normal CD fine but it struggles with MP3 Cd's. Generally it gives me the "check disc" error and i have to put the CD in 3 or 4 times. I got so frustrated I threw one of my CD's out of the window one time! Obviously since it was an MP3 CD it was a CDR so I wasn't out any money on it.
*power window regulator starting to go on the drive side window
*Sunroof broke

I don't regret buying the Cavalier because I got an awesome deal on it but I don't think I'm going to buy another Generic Motors vehicle. Its my 4th GM vehicle, and from what I've found powertrains seem to be alright on them, but theres always stupid crap that breaks! speakers blow, seat adjusting mechnism's break, shift knob's fall off, etc.

Anyway I lucked out on the sunroof. I hit the open and closed button rapidly and manged to get it to shut. Now I can at least wait a while to get it fixed and its not high priority!

hass
09-17-2008, 08:07 PM
psh, i got quoted the same price for fogs.
I went to a junkyard and picked up a set for 8 bucks among other things.

Cormaster
09-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Yeah I'll probably do some junk yard searching. In the meantime the sunroof is closed so its not a priority. Hate to be that way but Christmas is coming up, and hell me and my wife are barely making it from paycheck to paycheck at this point.