Is the 3.4L longblock from an 05 Rendezvous identical to a 99 Grand Am longblock? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Is the 3.4L longblock from an 05 Rendezvous identical to a 99 Grand Am longblock?

JoeB
09-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Strange question: will a 3.4L longblock from an 05 Buick Rendezvous be identical to the longblock that just took a crap on me in my 99 grand am? I've been looking all over here for compatability, and can't find much on the topic. I really want it to work, i've got a great deal on the aforementioned engine, it's only got 20,xxx miles on it! The salvage yard selling it says they work, and Wikipedia says they're the same, but my friend at another salvage yard said they're different. I had a brainstorm and called autozone and their parts numbers on the two longblocks are different, and the guy said our 3.4s have 207 in3 and the buick's only has like 204. Will my intakes and everything still bolt up to the new engine or do i need to keep looking?

A little explanation, and a curiosity question: My cam broke while cruising down the interstate, bent a valve, and spun a couple bearings which took a little of my block with it. I'm at exactly 150,000 miles, and replaced my LIM about 10,000 miles ago. That didn't have any internal leaking. Anyone else have a cam break? A factory one, that is, with just normal driving, and no engine mods?

boost21
09-16-2008, 07:22 PM
I know the injectors and uim are different, what else not sure

rocketfast123
09-16-2008, 08:18 PM
This may help
http://www.60degreev6.com/content/60%C2%BAV6_Family_Tree

JoeB
09-19-2008, 10:30 PM
thanks, that was helpful. turns out my friend's program didn't have the updated info to include the 05 rendezvous, so the longblocks do in fact line up. i bought it and it's on the way, it's a great price for the engine! thanks for your help