too much oil added [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : too much oil added

edindial
09-22-2008, 07:56 AM
I may have added a little too much oil to my 3400, now I am leaking oil overnight or anytime I drive the car and turn it off. I did the oil change on the car, added 4 quarts of oil and a small half quart of oil stabilizer for conditioning. Could this be a seal going bad or is it dumping out the extra oil that I poured in? Any suggestions will greatly help out. Thank you.

99gagt;crap

bigstribs
09-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Have you rechecked the drain plug and filter to see if they were tight?
The 3400 takes 4.7 qts.

edindial
09-22-2008, 08:26 AM
I did make sure that the filter and drain plug were properly fastened. If this helps any, the starter is getting some of the oil on it from the leak. Most of the oil seems to be stationed on the oil pan section and on the starter as well. I had a minor drain plug leak before the oil change, and I sealed the plug at the oil change to prevent that leak, it solved that.

Thank you for your quick reply.

nickofcourse
09-22-2008, 09:16 AM
i put 5 quarts with the pf-52 oversized filter in my car. it reads a tad high on the dipstick but no problems for me.

SSRacer
09-22-2008, 09:35 AM
I always use 4.5 quarts when I change mine. Sounds like you might have an issue with your oil pan gasket.

350rs
09-22-2008, 10:56 AM
before you go and spend a bunch of time and money. try simply changing your PCV valve. if thats not working properly your going to have extra pressure in your crank case that cannot vent properly. thus, causing leaks. its only a few bucks so even if thats not it, its not much lost. i personally change mine yearly. however it dosent need to be done that frequently.

edindial
09-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the reply to all, I have replaced the PVC as well yearly. Any possibility that the seals on the heads may be going? I think that it is strange for the car to be leaking but not lacking oil at the time. According to this info. I did not add too much oil cause 5 quarts woulb be ok. And the leaking is mainly on my starter and the oil pan, I will take a good look at the oil pan this afternoon and clean again under the engine for better clues.

Thanks again for the help.

99gagt
105,000 miles
running great minus oil leak

lone_wolf025
09-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the reply to all, I have replaced the PVC as well yearly. Any possibility that the seals on the heads may be going? I think that it is strange for the car to be leaking but not lacking oil at the time. According to this info. I did not add too much oil cause 5 quarts woulb be ok. And the leaking is mainly on my starter and the oil pan, I will take a good look at the oil pan this afternoon and clean again under the engine for better clues.

Thanks again for the help.

99gagt
105,000 miles
running great minus oil leak

If you're leaking oil and your oil level isn't going down, check your coolant level. There's a possibility your Lower Intake Manifold gasket might be leaking, but try simple fixes first then more complicated.

GrandAmGT-2008
09-22-2008, 09:28 PM
there is a sensor on the block above the starter, and i had that leaking and had to replace it. i beleive it was either the oil temp or pressure.

350rs
09-23-2008, 11:56 AM
yea, does it look like there is ANY hint of water ( coolant ) in the oil? if there is, thats either going to be a head gasket or lower intake. Both are very common to go out on these cars thanks to the dex cool. basically if those gaskets havent gone out yet, they will. and theres almost nothing you can do to stop it. felpro has the new gaskets that are supposed to fix the problem along with completely flushing the engine and getting that dex cool out. if thats all out, you can run a regular anti freeze and you wont have that problem.

KhellendrosxS
09-23-2008, 06:11 PM
there is a sensor on the block above the starter, and i had that leaking and had to replace it. i beleive it was either the oil temp or pressure.

Thats the oil pressure sender for the idiot light on the dash.

edindial
09-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Ok, sounds like I have a few things to check out here. At the time the oil looks to be clean with no signs of coolant. Still has the correct amount of oil showing in the dip stick. I will look for the oil pressure sender and check that first. I have not replaced those gaskets yet, it may be that time to do so. How much does a job like that go for at a side shop? I am pretty good with tools and tasks, but the time always gets me with bigger jobs to do on a weekend.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated

99gagt

Nick-G
09-23-2008, 08:10 PM
If their is coolant in your oil it should settle to the bottom of the oil pan after your car has been sitting so if you pull the drain plug it should come out first.

So you can check that and if their is no coolant then your leak is somewhere else.