Need help with car idle/fuel system [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with car idle/fuel system

jordGT
09-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Ok ive posted a few things a couple of weeks ago because my car wasnt starting. Well i had tryied almost everything i was told(Passlock reset,fuses,relays,spark,hitting the fuel tank with a mallet while someone trys to start it and still nothing. It had sat for about a week after that. But just the other day i had gone through under the hood and disconected and reconnected almost every plug and electrical clip i could see and hooked my battery charger up and tryed to start it. It rotated but didnt start like usuall, but on the third attemt it STARTED!!!! Im trying to figure out what the hell this could be, ive replaced the fuel filer and IAC valve, when its running it sounds good but sometimes it has a little of a hard start. The only thing is to me it seems like its not idleing at the right rpm's, what should it be idleing at? Also, when i keep it up at about 2000rpm and let the gas of totally it seems to drop to about 500 and jump to 600 and goes back and forth almost sounds like it wants to stall out! Could this still be the fuel pump possibly? Im thinking of taking it into the dealer anyway if its still running when i get it out of the paint shop just to see if it throws any codes. Please guys and suggestions? Maybe have an easy fix i could possibly try. Let me know, any info would be awsome.

Lab Rat
09-24-2008, 06:31 AM
I had a clogged catalytic converter that stopped me on the highway. Are you hearing anything out of the tail pipe? If you could, disconnect your downpipe and try to start it to see how it runs.
I also just replaced the VSS on my car. It was causing real drivablility issues before I changed it.
Good luck.

jordGT
09-24-2008, 10:24 PM
VSS...??? Im not sure if its my cad, the exhaust sounds good and clear. Allthough i just has my resonator cut out, dont think that would have caused it to not start!

gagt Mechanic
09-28-2008, 12:34 AM
possibly mass airflow. after cranking for a while, do you get a gas smell. when it dosent want to start, have you tried pushing the gas pedal down about half way.

jordGT
10-05-2008, 11:41 AM
When it does start the gas smells a lil rich burning, but cud be cuz it only gets strarted once a week maybe because its at the shope getting painted!

DaRkWaVe
10-06-2008, 01:19 PM
I have my car getting a new fuel pump installed as I type this. My MPG seemed to be getting bad a couple weeks ago, accompanied by an inaccurate gas reading on the guage. A couple days ago I was driving and I started to notice it revving a little higher than normal while driving. Then my fuel light went on at almost a quarter tank of gas on the guage. I reached my destination, put the car in park and left it running for 5 minutes and then the engine stopped and never started up again. Hope this helps.