very odd starting problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : very odd starting problem

scs411scs
09-28-2008, 03:56 PM
I've got a 2000 GA GT with around 127,000 miles on it (surprising, i know)...among all the issues I've had with it, this problem is most confusing...

I will go to start and either A) The engine starts fine and I'm on my way, or B) it hesitates on start, and kind of miss-fires i guess...then i know I'm in for it. After that the engine will turn over just fine, over and over, but not actually start. But then if i just leave it sit, ill go back 15-20 minutes later it will start just fine as if nothing ever happened. There seems to be no pattern as to when its going to happen, its happened in both hot and cold weather and on a hot and cold engine. Its got a brand new battery (which i thought might have been an issue, and when it eventually died completely, i had it replaced and its done it since). sometimes it will go months without doing it, sometimes just a few days. ...And since when it happens (and there's no indication of when it might happen again), it makes it impossible for a mechanic to diagnose where the problem is...I've taken it to several.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what it was so maybe I can have an idea of where to begin looking, because at this point, I'm lost.

Thanks,
Sam

gagt Mechanic
09-28-2008, 09:30 PM
do you know if it drops fuel or spark when it goes into a no start. I would guess fuel from your description. ever replace the fuel pump and/or filter?

DaRkWaVe
09-29-2008, 04:00 AM
Does your security light flash on the dash during the period you can't start it?

scs411scs
09-29-2008, 08:01 AM
as for the fuel filter/pump, i dont recall...i dont think ive ever had it replaced.

the security light, yes, it does flash at times, would that have something to do with it? i always thought it was more an effect of the car not starting properly rather than the cause....

Sam

gagt Mechanic
09-29-2008, 07:35 PM
if pass lock is engaged then the car will just crank and crank. next time the car wont start if the anti theft light is on, turn the key to run then off, do not crank, on the third time, leave it on rum until the antitheft light turns off, may take up to 15 min. may need new key and tumbler.

350rs
09-30-2008, 09:58 PM
yup, mine was doing the exact thing. i had to have my ignition key cylinder replaced. about 500 bucks.

scs411scs
10-11-2008, 10:54 PM
after reading a bit more about this passlock problem, it doesnt sound like thats the issue with mine...for one thing my car does crank, someone had said previously that if it is passlock it wont crank at all...so am i back to square one or could it still be a passlock issue? it hasnt happened since my original post, but just means that its really a matter of time probably

gagt Mechanic
10-11-2008, 11:35 PM
If it is passlock, you car will only crank, If I remember right, passlock disables your ignition coils, so your spark plugs will not ignite your fuel. it dose not disable your strater, so your car will crank. I have never heard of passlock going back to ok without doing a relearn though, so I dont think it is pass lock. Is your service eng soon light on or come on when you are having the prob?