car restoration price tag [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car restoration price tag

OrangeGAGT1
10-04-2008, 11:29 AM
I know this question may seem kinda stupid to many people, but try to resist that urge to act like a fag and point out how stupid of a question this is/waste of time/waste of money……. And so on. So I have two parts to my question. Let’s say I have 200,000 miles on my 2004 Grand Am GT1 (I don’t) and I really liked it a lot, but it is just worn out, about how much would it cost to restore this car to almost brand new condition. I would not want to replace things that clearly don’t need replacing, such as things that are just dirty and need cleaning and things like the frame and so on. Things that would need replacing I would think would be(engine, transmission, carpet, headliner, seat upholstery, struts, springs, rotors, paint….etc. missing a lot of other stuff, but you guys know more than I do.) I would guess around $15,000. The second question is how much to restore a 2004 Grand Am GT1 to “virtually brand new condition” a full restoration of this car, the car would be for all purposes a brand new car. I would think around $25,000 for a full restoration. Now my car had a sticker price of $26,000, so anything under that for a full restoration is good in my book. No I am not thinking of doing this for at least 6-10 years.

Question #1 how much for partial restoration #2 how much for full restoration.

Only answer this question if you have some experience or knowledge of car restoration.

Thank you for being kind and answering my question despite how ignorant I may seem on this topic.

DrFabulous
10-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Do you want to use all new GM parts, or no? Can you do any/some work yourself? That will make the biggest difference in cost.

OrangeGAGT1
10-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Do you want to use all new GM parts, or no? Can you do any/some work yourself? That will make the biggest difference in cost.

I may be able to get someone I know to do it, but maybe not, I cant do any of the work, I dont know enough. So lets just say it will all be done at a shop. As far as GM parts or not, if there are parts that are not GM, but the quality is just as good if not better that would be fine by me, but the parts can't be of worse quality. I have to go for now so I wont post for a few hours.

notsoaveragej0e
10-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Well, since you asked us not to be "fags" about answering your question, I'll play nicely.

All you really need is a new powertrain (6grand?) and a new interior (no more than 3grand). If you want to add in paint and NOS rims, you could be talking anywhere from 2 to 10grand. The rest of the stuff can probably be cleaned or somehow fixed. Also, it will take you a while to find all these parts...

May I ask why you would want to theoretically do this?

OrangeGAGT1
10-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Well, since you asked us not to be "fags" about answering your question, I'll play nicely.

All you really need is a new powertrain (6grand?) and a new interior (no more than 3grand). If you want to add in paint and NOS rims, you could be talking anywhere from 2 to 10grand. The rest of the stuff can probably be cleaned or somehow fixed. Also, it will take you a while to find all these parts...

May I ask why you would want to theoretically do this?

lol thanks for not fagging out on me. I just personally like the look of this generation of Grand Am, so it's just a personal reason, not for reselling. I know years from now (which is when I would be doing it if I still like them) there won't be many becuase Grand Am's are not the type of cars people save.

Y2KGA
10-04-2008, 08:30 PM
If you take car of the car, you wouldn't need much of a restoration other than an engine and tranny. Spending up to the orginal sticker price to restore a GA is not a good idea financially since the car will never be worth that again. If the car is wrecked, you will not get much money from the insurance company.

There are certain cars that restorations are worthwhile. Unfortunately, GA's are not one of them.

OrangeGAGT1
10-04-2008, 08:32 PM
If you take car of the car, you wouldn't need much of a restoration other than an engine and tranny. Spending up to the orginal sticker price to restore a GA is not a good idea financially since the car will never be worth that again. If the car is wrecked, you will not get much money from the insurance company.

There are certain cars that restorations are worthwhile. Unfortunately, GA's are not one of them.

good point about the insurance bit, never thought of that.

PhantomLover007
10-04-2008, 09:07 PM
I thought you could get special insurance for show cars. I know I remember seeing a thread on that about a week ago...

Malaclypse
10-04-2008, 10:21 PM
IIRC, insurance for show cars doesn't usually allow for alot of mileage if any at all. That's from talking to my father, though so who knows.

Rich
10-04-2008, 10:44 PM
there are tons of grand am's in this country. im sure youll be able to find something in a few years. or youll at least be able to find enough parts at some junk yards.

hass
10-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Yeah, low mileage cars of all years are for sale all the time.
old people buy them, but never drive them, or w/e
Just look on ebay.
Low mileage GAs all the time (under 10k)

AaronGTR
10-05-2008, 11:34 AM
A lot of things may not need replacing. If you've taken good care of the car the interior might not need all that stuff replaced. You might not need an entire new engine either. They can go a lot of miles with just maintenance parts. The engine might need a rebuild with new bearings and piston rings, a cylinder hone, etc... or it just might need a freshening up with new gaskets, sensors, spark plugs, coolant, etc etc. Same with the trans. A rebuild with new clutches and wear parts like some of the bearings and such could make it run like new. Might need new coolant hoses, and check the condition of the radiator and A/C system.

Items that take the biggest beating and are more likely to need replacing even before the 200k mile mark... wheel bearings, suspension bushings, struts and mounts, tie rod ends and ball joints, brake discs and maybe calipers and hoses. Those are just a few off the top of my head. Exhaust systems usually rust out in 7-10 years so you might need a new exhaust too, and another possible issue is the wiring harness. Sometimes after 10+ years of heat exposure the stock wiring can get brittle. If you start having untraceable or un-fixable electrical issues, and the wiring is getting stiff and the wire loom around it is falling apart, it might need a complete wiring harness swap in the engine bay. That is just a possibility on really old cars though, and not guaranteed to happen.

OrangeGAGT1
10-06-2008, 02:44 PM
A lot of things may not need replacing. If you've taken good care of the car the interior might not need all that stuff replaced. You might not need an entire new engine either. They can go a lot of miles with just maintenance parts. The engine might need a rebuild with new bearings and piston rings, a cylinder hone, etc... or it just might need a freshening up with new gaskets, sensors, spark plugs, coolant, etc etc. Same with the trans. A rebuild with new clutches and wear parts like some of the bearings and such could make it run like new. Might need new coolant hoses, and check the condition of the radiator and A/C system.

Items that take the biggest beating and are more likely to need replacing even before the 200k mile mark... wheel bearings, suspension bushings, struts and mounts, tie rod ends and ball joints, brake discs and maybe calipers and hoses. Those are just a few off the top of my head. Exhaust systems usually rust out in 7-10 years so you might need a new exhaust too, and another possible issue is the wiring harness. Sometimes after 10+ years of heat exposure the stock wiring can get brittle. If you start having untraceable or un-fixable electrical issues, and the wiring is getting stiff and the wire loom around it is falling apart, it might need a complete wiring harness swap in the engine bay. That is just a possibility on really old cars though, and not guaranteed to happen.

Ya I agree some of those things are just maintance like rotors, struts,etc......