Here's a test for you inavated customisiers [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Here's a test for you inavated customisiers

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
10-04-2008, 01:51 PM
I see alot of members who put on aftermarket cai's. but leave the ramair by pontiac shield and even the duction system that leads off from that.

i would love to leave the shield (ram air by pontiac ) on my car bought remove the duct behind it , when i go to mount a cai setup. BUT i do not want any possible chance of water that makes it's way threw the bumper air intakes to just blow threw the ducting and run down on top of tranny etc.

i figure water could still get in by windy rainy days , plashe from other cars , or my washing car etc etc. nothing wrong with my car but i do know quite bit of water does get in the filter box via the ducting , even sits at the end of the ducting. this the way factory ramair setup is now.

so to keep this same water out when i do my mod i will ask >>>SO is there some type of filter that keeps water out but lets air threw that i could NEATLY stuff under the back of the shield. if need be mount it with 2 face tape or other.

i know i could buy the know (ram air by pontiac > base shield ) because it is closed at the back of that shield . but i rather like ram one better. plus be nice to take advantage of what amount of air does come threw the bumper air intakes.

other option i though of was to plug up open end of the duct , wih air filter type material ??? , after filter box was removed of course. than make a whole in bottom of the end of that ducking and attach a drain house to direct water away and down to the ground.

ATTACHED PICTURES HELP with were and what i am trying to do. not my photo's.

Nick-G
10-04-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm a little confused about what your asking. Are you talking about the two nostrils on the front bumper cover?

Metalxen
10-04-2008, 03:33 PM
I see alot of members who put on aftermarket cai's. but leave the ramair by pontiac shield and even the duction system that leads off from that.

i would love to leave the shield (ram air by pontiac ) on my car bought remove the duct behind it , when i go to mount a cai setup. BUT i do not want any possible chance of water that makes it's way threw the bumper air intakes to just blow threw the ducting and run down on top of tranny etc.

i figure water could still get in by windy rainy days , plashe from other cars , or my washing car etc etc. nothing wrong with my car but i do know quite bit of water does get in the filter box via the ducting , even sits at the end of the ducting. this the way factory ramair setup is now.

so to keep this same water out when i do my mod i will ask >>>SO is there some type of filter that keeps water out but lets air threw that i could NEATLY stuff under the back of the shield. if need be mount it with 2 face tape or other.

i know i could buy the know (ram air by pontiac > base shield ) because it is closed at the back of that shield . but i rather like ram one better. plus be nice to take advantage of what amount of air does come threw the bumper air intakes.

other option i though of was to plug up open end of the duct , wih air filter type material ??? , after filter box was removed of course. than make a whole in bottom of the end of that ducking and attach a drain house to direct water away and down to the ground.

ATTACHED PICTURES HELP with were and what i am trying to do. not my photo's.

I think he is, but I would'nt worry about it so much. I have a cai with the filter located in the fenderwell on my daily driver and never had any issues with rain or washing my car getting my filter wet. My setup is identical to pic # 4 in your post with the ram air cover and tubing that connected to the old air box and have been driving it since new for three years without a spec of rust I might add .If anything I think it helps channel cold air into the engine bay. I'm sure you would also have water splash up from underneath the car when driving on rainy days anyway, unless you intend to keep your car as a fair weather driver and garaged over the winter, then I would expect some surface rust of various parts of your drive train, exspecialy for being near the ocean .

Nick-G
10-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Your just waisting your time and money trying to prevent water from getting into the engine bay and thats really all their is to it their is nothing to worry about.

PhantomLover007
10-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Unless your driving around in water up to the top of the fender well, you're not going to have to worry too much about a lot of water getting in. I have mine set up the same way and I've had no issues yet and it tends to rain a bit in the South.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
10-04-2008, 05:44 PM
so Metalxen you do not get water coming out of the induction tube that you left remaining on your car. i know this summer when i went to freshen up my factory style K&N filter i found water down in the honey comb area at bottom haft of air box.

and some sitting in the end of the tube were the box and tube meet. now maybe it is because i force water in when washing the front end . i do tend to shoot hose at vents / openings. OR DID / use to .

Nick-G
10-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Im sure some water does get in their but its nothing to worry about.

Metalxen
10-04-2008, 07:11 PM
If you have read anything I have writen here then you should know that I do not have an air box anymore hence picture#4 ( notice the nice polished tubing indicating a cai being relocated into the fender.) So no more water buildup, not that there was anyway..

lone_wolf025
10-04-2008, 09:31 PM
I have the inlets from the front still installed, but the part that says "Ram Air" I took off a while back and out of laziness, never put it back on. I have the SC/T style hood with inserts removed, and no mesh. I have driven through deep puddles (out of necessity) and have never once had ANY issue with water.

If you're worried about water getting in through the ram air ducting, its not gonna happen. If you think about how the ducting is routed: Air comes straight in, makes a 90 degree turn down, makes another to go forward, makes another to go back up, then makes another to go forward into the sheild and through the small duct towards the airbox. The only way water is gonna make it through all that is if you've got a hose attached and you fill up the entire front duct full of water.

AaronGTR
10-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Kind of hard to understand what he's saying with the terrible grammer. I think what he's trying to say is that he likes the plastic shield with the "ram air" logo on it better than the non-ram air version that is closed on the back, but if he keeps that shield and takes out the now useless ram air ducting he's worried about water coming through and getting his engine bay dirty.

Personally I'd just get the non-ram air cover. It looks cleaner and you don't have ram air anymore so why keep the logo? It's stupid. If you're really that dead set on it though... besides the duct that goes from the core support to the air box, there is also some plastic ducting to direct air from the nostrils in the bumper up over the core support. It's underneath that plastic shield. You could probably glue a piece of plastic across the back of that ducting, or possibly remove it and glue a piece of plastic or aluminum across the bottom of the upper shield so that it sticks down and closes the gap between the shield and core support. That way any water that splashes through the nostrils would hit that and just fall on the radiator shroud.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
10-05-2008, 11:47 AM
i i end up leaving the ram air shield and that first sections of ducting , take out the air box for a cai , then wounder if i can find something i could attach to the end of the ducting that would left on the car , that would be at a 90 degree turn etc to focus/re-direct air more to the block etc. instead of just shooting towards fire wall.

if i find some drainage ducting or something i can make look appealing and paint it blk it not already blk. but it is a retangular shaped tucking . maybe something flexable that a plastic tie would hold on. maybe some day a junk yard look around for any pieces of ducting etc i could make work.

i could probaly just cut off a section of another piece of the ducting that leads away from the ram air shield ( if i had another ) . but i think because it is rectangular in shape it would just focus it straight down. .

but for now i'll just peak around kent etc etc for any possible ideas usuall preety goodan hoge-poging things. see i want to make use of what ever air comes threw but eliminate any water that MAY folllow.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
10-05-2008, 06:00 PM
as just mentioned if i took the upper section of ducting that joins to the ram air shield . i figure i MIGHT be able to make use of that long curved tubing.

cut off the section that is the male end where the o-ring is .thus it would then be wider opening . hopefully slightly larger so to fit over the male end of my own tubing . cut the section more on a angle versus my straight line i drew. and as senn in 1st photo just flip it so curve goes the other way.

so i would have a bit of forward tubing going in a downward way then a curve to the left towards passenger side. thus extends my own tubing once box is removed but shoots its toward engine not too firewall.

Nick-G
10-05-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm still kind of clueless about what your talking about since I cant even read half of what your saying but from what I can tell you want to cut that piece and add your own tubing to it? If so why? I really don't see any point in doing that at all you will not notice any gains of any kind and it more than likely will not look good.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
10-05-2008, 07:42 PM
sucks being me ... you have that idea when i take out the air box i MIGHT want to extend that tubing by using a cut up section of another same tubing . and have it point more to the engine rather then the firewall.

would it , or could i make it look decent ????

after taking the airbox off, and just leaving that tubing stop off where it is if you leave it in place does not look all that great either.

Nick-G
10-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Turning it towards the engine wont do anything. It would just be a waist if you want the air to blow over your engine just remove that piece all together.

PhantomLover007
10-05-2008, 08:05 PM
I left the piece that had "Ram Air" on it attached because it looked more astetic than not having it on there. I took all the rest of the tubing off though, because I didn't see any point in having it on there. The ONLY piece that is still on is the one that runs into the fender well from the bottom of the car right were the CAI filter is.