Thermostat change help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat change help

FociBoi121
10-07-2008, 05:00 PM
well i replaced my sisters thermostat on her 1999 grand am se
ive done coolant flush
turn heat on and bled the valve till no bubbles run then tighten that up then i close the cap back and guess what the water start shooting out of the purge line by the resovoir cap

the water just seems to bubble in the radiator and go no where else
is this a bad water pump causing this?

anyone kno why please help me?

Nick-G
10-07-2008, 05:05 PM
How much coolant did you put in?

FociBoi121
10-08-2008, 06:18 AM
How much coolant did you put in?

well its only taking about a gallon and half then it bubbles at the top it wont burp it then i shut the car off and it takes down the water WTF?

so after it takes it down i start the car up and sure enough its shooting out the top again
so i try tuning off car again then adding more water after it takes it down and this still doesnt help

it just keep overflowing the hose closest to the thermostat gets real hot and you barely feel any water or pressure in it but when you turn car off it builds with pressure and accepts the water through for a short second its strange

perhaps a vacuum leak? where would the leak most likely be?

H.O. Driver
10-08-2008, 07:43 AM
you just need a new radiatior cap. Well overflow cap, the seal went out so when your coolant system bulds pressure it pushes it past the seal and out the blow off hose. New cap, $12, problem solved.

FociBoi121
10-08-2008, 09:20 AM
you just need a new radiatior cap. Well overflow cap, the seal went out so when your coolant system bulds pressure it pushes it past the seal and out the blow off hose. New cap, $12, problem solved.

and your certain its not the water pump?
please tell me it just the cap again lol

FociBoi121
10-08-2008, 10:48 AM
well... i bought a new radiator cap

and sure enough the lines hold pressure and the heat works thanks alot H.O. Driver! ill try to give you rep if it lets noobs lol

now my next question is from researching on this forum ive seen the car can run 200-220ish with a stock thermostat now since ive been driving the Grand Am the heat stays on but.. it gets real hot air then just warm air a continuous cycle i guess anyone kno about that?

maybe still air pockets?

alerored04
10-08-2008, 12:31 PM
I would assume so, these cooling systems are tough to bleed completely. I would just drive it for a bit as long as it is not overheating and see if it corrects itself. Mine did that.

hass
10-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Mine did that as well.
A pain to bleed, after my headgasket repair...
Just drove it around and the coolant kept dropping down a little bit every now and then, just kept topping it off and like after the 3rd or 4th short drive it stopped doing so.
Haven't had to put any in since I did the repair about 10 months ago.

gagt Mechanic
10-09-2008, 09:20 PM
when you do work on cooling sys. refill surge tank and run car cap off, turn heat on low and on the floor. when the eng gets about 200 rev up to 3000 a few times, put cap on and run for a few min. turn off eng and remove cap, let sit for a few min. the little air pockets are hard to get out with eng running. turning off car helps to get them out. never had any probs with this method.