Lower Control Arm [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum


View Full Version : Lower Control Arm

10-07-2008, 08:27 PM
I want to replace the lower ball joint and lower control arm bushings. I know I have to drill out the rivets on the lower ball joint to replace it with the new one.

My question is the bushings are just rubber pieces that need to be lined up with the bolts correct. I know this is a stupid question considering what I know how to do on my car.

Second, is there anything special I should know about taking the lower control arm off? I should have done it when I changed the springs and struts. Thanks.

10-08-2008, 09:42 PM
The bushings are rubber pieces that go inside the control arm and they have a metal tube molded into the center of the rubber that the mounting bolts go through. The front bushing is the vertical control bushing and the bolt goes though horizontal. The rear bushing is horizontal control bushing and the bolt goes through vertically, and it goes through the sub-frame and into the uni-body as well. It's one of two rear mounting bolts for the sub-frame. The rear bushing also has a metal cup around the outside that fits into the control arm.

Both bushings are pressed in. You can get them out with a press, or if you have the patience you can get them out with some drilling and cutting of the rubber and some air tools (air hammer/chisel). Putting new ones in is a bit harder. It's really easiest if you have access to a hydraulic press. The rear one can sometimes be hammered in by greasing it up and setting the arm up on some boards. The front is much harder because the rubber deforms and squeezes out against the arm when you push on the center. I've gotten a few in using grease, a really big vise to squeeze it in, and some really big sockets to push it in. It wasn't easy or fun. ;)

10-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks Aaron. I didn't realize how difficult it would be to do it. I'll just buy the control arm with everything on it.

gagt Mechanic
10-09-2008, 09:06 PM
if you have a nappa or carquest near you with a machine shop, or a local shop with a press, they may do it for a few bucks if you bring them the controle arm, cheaper than buying a new one.