oil weight [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : oil weight

turdstangjunk69
10-09-2008, 10:21 PM
my car makes a knocking sound and i was going to try to put a heavier oil in it to quiet it down for now. i usually run 10-30 in it now.

Malaclypse
10-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Could you possibly be reffering to the ticking noise of piston-slap and lifter nosie that most people complain about on here?

Besides... if you have a real lower-end knock, a higher weight oil would just be a band-aid on a sucking chest wound.

Mike Jung
10-10-2008, 12:50 AM
...Besides... if you have a real lower-end knock, a higher weight oil would just be a band-aid on a sucking chest wound.
x2

turdstangjunk69
10-10-2008, 02:54 PM
yea its more of a ticking noise

tony t
10-10-2008, 07:18 PM
hi,i heard this tiking noise at start up can be cured sometimes by adding a oil cleaner such sea foam,supposely it will dislog or clean the lifters to make them work well and therby filling and keeping oil prerssure normally.does it work? i have not tried it,as per using heavier oil,i dont think it will treat the couse,since its not the valves but the lifters making that tiking sound at start up in the morning, then fine as the engine warms up,u follow? u wana get rid of this tiking 100% for sure? change all your lifters i gess is easier to try the oil cleaner first rigth? who knows ? u migth get lucky.

Malaclypse
10-10-2008, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't particularly worry about that ticking noise.

My 3100 Monte Carlo made the same ticking noise from 40k all the way to 120k when I sold it and its still running just fine.

gagt Mechanic
10-10-2008, 09:17 PM
gm has released a fix for the ticking noise in 3400, you rebuild the engine and replace the pistons with new ones. the noise is a clearance issue, the new pistons have a kevlar coating on top or something to dammpen the noise. have yet to find some one that has cared enough to do it.

AaronGTR
10-11-2008, 10:35 AM
my car makes a knocking sound and i was going to try to put a heavier oil in it to quiet it down for now. i usually run 10-30 in it now.

You should be running 5w30 not 10w30. Running heavier oil will not help anything and will actually hurt the engines efficiency and gas mileage slightly. The ticking noise is probably piston slap as already stated, or lifter noise. If it goes away once the car warms up, it's piston slap. It's annoying, but it won't cause any issues so don't worry about it. If it doesn't go away it's lifter noise. Unless it's loud and consistent, or it gets louder, I wouldn't worry about that either. Otherwise you can rebuild/replace the lifters and see if that fixes it.

Mike Jung
10-11-2008, 10:24 PM
& avoid the Fram orange can oil filters.
Unless you like cold start lifter/valve train noise.
Poor Anti-Drain Back Valve design by Fram.
(The oil filter drains out the oil over-night sitting parked.)

I prefer to use NAPA Gold oil filters, with a well designed Silcon Anti-Drain Back Valve.

hass
10-12-2008, 12:34 AM
AC-Delco PF-52s are okay to use, though? Only oversized one I could find that Advanced has that I knew worked.
I know it's been discussed a million times... But the guy at an Advanced auto told me that it won't fit on a grand am. But.. I bought one anyway and it works just fine -.-

However I have some ticking noise, that quiets down a little when the engine is warm, but never totally disappears anymore (it used to go away fully, now it stays slightly even when the engine is warm and been running for 30+ mins.)

AaronGTR
10-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Yeah, the PF-52 should work just fine. There is a longer version that has the same diameter and thread and will fit. Same with the mobil1 filters. I use mobil1 oil and filter. There are two different numbers that will work and one is just longer than the other. Advantage is it gives you a little more filtering capacity for less back pressure and better filtering as the oil gets dirty, and a little bit more oil capacity. Don't listen to the minimum wage monkeys at auto stores. Most of them don't actually know anything. They'll just look it up in a catalog and tell you it doesn't fit because it isn't the number for the stock filter.

Malaclypse
10-12-2008, 11:11 AM
PF-52s are all I'll put on a 60v6 anymore. Don't worry about the ticking noise. The expense to fix it just isn't worth the minor annoyance. If it gets alot worse I'd look into getting it fixed though.

hass
10-12-2008, 04:35 PM
PF-52s are all I'll put on a 60v6 anymore. Don't worry about the ticking noise. The expense to fix it just isn't worth the minor annoyance. If it gets alot worse I'd look into getting it fixed though.

Yeah, my father had crazy ticking on his lifters on a 99 Suburban.
Thing was mad loud... He didn't really care much until the gaskets started going and it was leaking lots of coolant and overheating.
Then he tore it down and fixed everything.

I just wish I paid attention to it when I just did the headgasket/LIM a little while ago, lol. :X