Restore, Inc. Engine Restorer & Lubricant [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Restore, Inc. Engine Restorer & Lubricant

99GTCoupe
10-12-2008, 03:48 PM
http://www.restoreusa.com/
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has experience with this product.

Several years ago when I worked in a lube shop, there was a care dealer that brought his 'new' cars in and had me throw a can of this into the cars when adding the new oil. I've heard a few things that it's good stuff, but anyone here have any good/bad things to say about it?

My car's a 99 with 150k+ miles, so keep that in mind. I picked up a can, figured it couldn't hurt, but wanted to ask before I throw it in.

99GTCoupe
10-13-2008, 10:25 PM
anyone?

K WeRd
10-14-2008, 12:25 AM
my 02 has 168+ and i use it ever oil change. my engine with it doesnt seem to hesitate as much as when i didnt use it. i say it works. nothing but good things from me.

99GTCoupe
10-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Cool, thanks

AaronGTR
10-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Most of those additive/restorer things are gimmicks. Most don't work, and the few that do anything don't make enough difference to be worth the money. About the only one I've heard good results from on here is seafoam, which is more of a cleaner than "restorer". It helps clean out carbon deposits and gunk from your intake manifold, injectors, etc... even then I wouldn't use it as often as they recommend. Certainly not every oil change! That's just pissing money away. It takes tens of thousands of miles for that stuff to accumulate.

I'd say using a cleaner once a year would be adequate, and anything that promises to "restore" your engine or regain lost compression etc etc is full of crap. That is pure mechanical wear and the only thing that will solve that is an engine rebuild. The best thing you can do for your engine is use good synthetic oil and filter, air filter, and don't buy cheap bargain brand gasoline.