Weird throttle repsonse [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Weird throttle repsonse

99GTCoupe
10-14-2008, 09:47 AM
So I had something odd happen today and one other time. Not sure how to describe it exactly, or even how to properly search on it heh

I was behind someone at a light, they got a reeeeaaaaal slow start and so I went to pass them. As I did I hit the pedal rather hard. It's kinda hard to explain ( and remember), but I think the engine revved up high though the output wasn't hitting the wheels, it dropped (as usual after acceling hard) and then my car went faster. Any ideas on this weird happening?

cardude007617
10-14-2008, 10:39 AM
trans slippage?

99GTCoupe
10-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Ewwwwww that's not a happy thing to hear

I need to take it in next week anyways, I hope a drain and fill with new filter might help ><

hass
10-14-2008, 08:57 PM
yeah, that's known as a slip ;D

99GTCoupe
10-15-2008, 07:51 AM
well crap, since it's only happened a couple times, is it a big issue?
any thoughts on a solution?

grandgt
10-15-2008, 07:45 PM
When you have it on park. Rev the engine, does the car keep a steady rev or does it sorta go up and down

cardude007617
10-15-2008, 08:46 PM
dont you just normally let trannys go until you cant really drive it anymore?

99GTCoupe
10-16-2008, 07:49 AM
lol

I've done that once, it gets to 4k rpms and acts funky. But in drive it revs up to redline. I'm assuming that's normal? (Under the assumption it's computer/governor controlled in park)

hass
10-16-2008, 10:35 AM
lol

I've done that once, it gets to 4k rpms and acts funky. But in drive it revs up to redline. I'm assuming that's normal? (Under the assumption it's computer/governor controlled in park)

Yeah, 4k rpm and acting funky in park is normal, since like you said it's governed at that.

solution is... taking it to a transmission shop and have them rebuild/replace it.

Easier just to wait until it totally goes out on you though.
If it only does it once and a while, you've probably still got quite a bit of life left in it.
Can try a new filter, sometimes that helps. Just make sure when they put in new fluid they use Dexron and not synthetic or anything like that, that'll make it slip a hell of a lot more.

cardude007617
10-16-2008, 10:39 AM
i agree^, your trans fluid filter could just be getting clogged and causing a loss of pressure on the clutches resulting in a "slip"

99GTCoupe
10-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's going in within the week to get work done, plus that, so I hope it works

Good to know it's prolly not gonna die tomorrow though ha

grandgt
10-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Yeah, 4k rpm and acting funky in park is normal, since like you said it's governed at that.

solution is... taking it to a transmission shop and have them rebuild/replace it.

Easier just to wait until it totally goes out on you though.
If it only does it once and a while, you've probably still got quite a bit of life left in it.
Can try a new filter, sometimes that helps. Just make sure when they put in new fluid they use Dexron and not synthetic or anything like that, that'll make it slip a hell of a lot more.

How funky does it go?.. Cause when i rev'd my car in park it went to 4k then completly went down to 1k took a 1 second then went up again to 4k.. I dont think it should slip down that many rpms, correct? Someone if this forum told me it might be my TPS, or my MAF.. but i havent yet tried to see if that was the issue.. But when i giver the car is lazy on the shifting and just doenst have the balls like it used to.

99GTKid
11-11-2008, 10:23 PM
I have the same problems. understood exactly what you meant even just by the post title. but it only happens under about a quarter tank of gas. same issue?