Starting Problem.... It Won't. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem.... It Won't.

DrRodey
10-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Hey guys. I've done some searching and all the answers I've found haven't workd thus far.

'01 GT 3.4 137k. Yesterday morning went to start it. Turned the ignition, good gauge check, fuel pump primed, turn all the way to "start" and Nothing. no security light now or ever, no DTCs, tried jumping the starter and it spins but wont' engage the flywheel. Pulled the starter and battery, both checked out ok. put them back in and it worked fine for the rest of the day.... Go out to this moring and same thing all over again. turn switch to on and get a good gauge test and fuel pump primes, but when you turn all the way over to start Nothing. again pulled the starter and battery, both checked good again, put them back in and it still wont' start. Tried the code relearn for the passlock, and nothing. So what's left.. Ignition switch? Park switch? (tried in both park and neutral and won't start in either.) other?//

Thanks for the help.

DrRodey
10-14-2008, 06:12 PM
update. Had starter checked again, and again it checked out fine. Also pulled the battery and had it rechecked, also ok, but since it was of unknown age I got a new one. Still continues to have Nothing on start, but gauge check and fuel pump prime as should.

Possible Options.

Bad ground?
Bad Ignition switch?
Park Switch?

Anything else I should be looking for?

gagt Mechanic
10-14-2008, 11:37 PM
when you turn the key to start is there silence our do you hear a click. to check starters I prefer the hammer test. have someone hold the key in start possion and hit the starter with a hammer. if it starts you need a new starter. if you hear the click but no starting and the hammer test dose not work make sure that you have power at the large wire at the starter. starters are like alt, they are grounded through there casing. no click you could have a bad relay. if it was a nsw you usually would have trouble getting the key out. and lastly, do you have a aftermarket alarm or remote starter?

DrRodey
10-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Just silence, no click, no crank, nothing when you turn the key to start. I'll double check the power to the starter when I get home, but I was able to get the starter to spin by jumping it with a remote start swich but it wouldn't engage the flywheel. No alarm or remote starter.

When I get home I'll double check the power to the starter, and try your hammer test, and let ya know the results.

cks20
10-15-2008, 07:25 PM
This could be a PASSLOCK problem. My '02 3.4L auto would not crank over when the passlock started to act up. My other GA, a 2.2L manual would crank over but not start when the passlock acted up. You might try to bypass the PASSLOCK system just in case this is the problem.

PhantomLover007
10-15-2008, 07:34 PM
It's gotta be the passlock.

DrRodey
10-15-2008, 08:28 PM
If it was passlock though, would it just happen all of a sudden like this? And without the security light coming on?

I suppose while I got the dash apart and the switch out I might as well just bypass it since it's all right there in the open anyway, then I don't need to worry about it in the future.

GAGT Mechanic; I'm not going to be able to get home to finish testing tonight. I'll have to get back to ya with the results

PhantomLover007
10-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Mine did it all of the sudden a few weeks ago. I stopped at 4 different places before it did it to me. No indication at all that the car was really going to give me troubles that day.

ttreakle1
10-19-2008, 10:25 PM
I have the same exact problem and I beleive it is a weak spring in the starter solinoid and I will find out when I replace the starter and let you know how it works out

DrRodey
10-20-2008, 08:29 AM
ttreakle... any news on the new starter yet? I just got back from a weekend away and haven't had time to look further into the problem yet. Going to work on checking fuseable links, and p/n switch, and if both of those are good, all that I have left is the d@*&^ passlock system.

carlos m.
10-21-2008, 01:07 AM
It's your fuel pump relay! It's located in the engine compartment and it costs around $17. I had the same problem too!

Pauljp
10-21-2008, 05:59 AM
'01 GT 3.4 137k. Yesterday morning went to start it. Turned the ignition, good gauge check, fuel pump primed, turn all the way to "start" and Nothing. no security light now or ever, no DTCs, tried jumping the starter and it spins but wont' engage the flywheel. Pulled the starter and battery, both checked out ok. put them back in and it worked fine for the rest of the day.... Go out to this moring and same thing all over again. turn switch to on and get a good gauge test and fuel pump primes, but when you turn all the way over to start Nothing. again pulled the starter and battery, both checked good again, put them back in and it still wont' start. Tried the code relearn for the passlock, and nothing. So what's left.. Ignition switch? Park switch? (tried in both park and neutral and won't start in either.) other?//

Thanks for the help.

Ok, I think we are jumping all over the place on this one. We may have multiple problems, but lets take a look at the initial problem.
DrRodey initially said that when he puts the key in and turns it, he gets good gauges and good priming. When he turns the key to start, he got nothing. He then jumped the starter and it spun. To me, that indicates an electrical problem to the starter. The first place to check would be fuses and relays. Pull them, clean them, swap them, whatever to get that first part fixed. Check the wiring between the key switch and the starter.
Get that part working 100% of the time then work on the other problems.
I don't think changing the fuel pump relay at this stage is going to fix the "starter-not-spinning" problem.
Just my opinion.

DrRodey
10-21-2008, 06:48 PM
I have come to the conclusion that the passlock system on these cars SUCKS!!!!!! yeah, that ended up being the problem. ended up having to take it in to the dealer and $250 later, she's back on the road, running better than ever.

Thanks for the help and direction everyone.