air idle valve [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : air idle valve

guodf
10-14-2008, 08:44 PM
I have a 2001 Grand Am GT and I recently had my TPS (throttle position sensor) replaced as it was triggering the TCS (traction control system) to engage. Now my TCS light stays as well as the traction control no longer engages but now when I start my car it seems as if itís stuck on high idle at stays about 1000 RPM. My mechanic said I need to replace the air idle valve. Prior to replacing the TPS she ran fantastic other than the TCS, my question is, will replacing the air idle valve solve my idle problem? If so where is this part located?

angrysk8r
10-14-2008, 11:00 PM
the idle air valve is located in the throttle body, just above the tps iirc, pricy little part, there is a decent chance it might solve your problem though...mine got a little sticky occasionally and i had similar problems, although idk about the tcs light...my light was already on before because of a failed wheel speed sensor

gagt Mechanic
10-14-2008, 11:12 PM
few things, one trac light. dose abs light come on also. if so do thety stay on when you start the car or only when you start to move. two you said that your car was ok except the tcs, so after you relpace the tps now you iac is bad? was it adealer part or no. alot of parts stores will use remanufactured parts. they cut and glue broken ones back together. if the new tps senspor is saying you throttle is open more than it is, it can cause high idle. but you could have a bad iac things to think about.

guodf
10-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Yes the ABS light came on as well, once I replaced the TPS I had no more problems with the TCS and according to my mechanic he only uses OEM parts. However, now my RPM's range from 1100-1300 while in park or idle. Once I put it in gear it does come down a little. Is the iac easy to get to and replace or should I take it in to the mechanic. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, however, if it's easy enough to locate and R/R then i can do it myself and save $90.00 hourly rate.

angrysk8r
10-15-2008, 02:59 PM
while you're at it check for a vacuum leak...especially around the pcv lines...

guodf
10-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Ah good point, is it possible that my mechanic forgot to connect a vacuum hose which is causing the fast idle? Like I said I am not a mechanic so I apologize if ithis is a dumb question.

angrysk8r
10-15-2008, 04:19 PM
it can be possible, if the rpms drop usually you'll notice a surging idle as well

gagt Mechanic
10-15-2008, 11:07 PM
my question would be why did your mechanic let you take your car with it running like that?
if your abs, trac off, and svs lights are on you most likely have a bad hub. your iac is easy to get to but I would take it back to your mechanic and let him take care of it since it started after he "FIXED IT". I would cry warranty.

guodf
10-16-2008, 03:10 PM
The abs, trac off, and svs lights are no longer on after he replaced the TPS. I did take it back to him and he advised me that he scanned it and that there was no problem found at this time, however, I don't recall that it ideled that fast???? Is it possible that there were actually 2 problems and he only fixed one?