Difference between SVS and SES lights [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Difference between SVS and SES lights

TFA
10-15-2008, 06:58 AM
What is the difference? What particular things should I be looking at when the SES light is on V. the SVS light? My SES just came on this morning and I have no idea why. I have noticed a drop in gas mileage over the past week or so (a bit drastic, I usually pull between 250 and 300 miles out of a tank, this time i barely got 230). Had my LIM changed last year, doubt it failed again already, I dont really have a loss of power either. I guess Ill just go to AAP and get a free scan ;crap

EDIT: I got it scanned and got P0440: Minor EVAP small leak/No flow condition :

- Defective fuel cap
- EVAP hose/canister cracked
- Purge/Vent solenoid defective
- Vacuum leak @ engine

I guess it could be a lot worse, thankfully I just got my car inspected a few months ago so I dont really have to get it fixed right away. Im gonna take a look at the vacuum hose later this afternoon, the gas cap is on good.

DrFabulous
10-15-2008, 07:02 AM
SES is engine related, SVS could be something stupid like a lightbulb.

TFA
10-15-2008, 07:04 AM
very well then. It figures, I am having a lightbulb issue too...

stewartfn18
10-15-2008, 01:31 PM
clogged cat causing that 0440 code and poor gas milage.

TFA
10-15-2008, 01:34 PM
clogged cat causing that 0440 code and poor gas milage.

thank you. How do I fix it?

stewartfn18
10-15-2008, 02:51 PM
replace the cat. thats all you can do. i went from getting ~21 to ~24 mpgs when i baby the car. that was just replacing the cat. how many miles are on ther car?

TFA
10-15-2008, 03:20 PM
under 60K , more like 56K I believe. I took it to a mechanic, he said he didnt think it was the cat. since its an EVAP code, he is thinking more along the lines of an 02 sensor, or a small leak somewhere, he said generally any cat problems will throw a code that isnt that, it is generally the same code for any cat issues. I dunno, Im dropping it off Friday for them to take a look...;crap balls....

AaronGTR
10-15-2008, 04:46 PM
SES means "service engine soon", SVS means "service vehicle soon". The SES light comes on when you have anything related to the drive train. The SVS light comes on for other stuff like brakes, air conditioning, lights, etc.

DTC P0440 is for the EVAP system. It applies specifically to a failure of the EVAP large leak test that the pcm does. This is straight from the factory manual...

"The following conditions wil set DTC P0440
- A missing, not completely installed, or malfunctioning fuel fill cap
- A disconnected, damaged, pinched, or blocked EVAP purge line
- A disconnected or damaged EVAP vent hose
- A disconnected, damaged, pinched, or blocked fuel tank vapor line
- A malfunctioning EVAP canister purge valve
- A malfunctioning EVAP vent valve
- An open ignition feed circuit to the EVAP vent or purge valve -- this should also set DTC P0443 or P0449
- A damaged EVAP canister
- A leaking fuel sender assembly O-ring
- A leaking fuel tank or fuel filler neck

Malaclypse
10-15-2008, 08:12 PM
thank you. How do I fix it?

He's thinking P0420. THAT'S a catalyst low efficiency code.

P0440 is an EVAP code as mentioned.

stewartfn18
10-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Ahhh yes don't mind what I said

gagt Mechanic
10-15-2008, 10:37 PM
quick correction to aarongtr, ses comes on for issues related to emmisions and some times trans, i think our cars use the svs light for trans, dont remember. small evap leaks suck, they are usually very hard to find, (has nothing to do with 02 sensors). most common on our cars for small evap leaks, fuel tank pressure sensor, cracks in evap hoses or canister, and nicks in oring on gas cap or rust or dents on filler tube.

AaronGTR
10-16-2008, 02:24 PM
quick correction to aarongtr, ses comes on for issues related to emmisions and some times trans, i think our cars use the svs light for trans, dont remember. small evap leaks suck, they are usually very hard to find, (has nothing to do with 02 sensors). most common on our cars for small evap leaks, fuel tank pressure sensor, cracks in evap hoses or canister, and nicks in oring on gas cap or rust or dents on filler tube.

quick correction to gagt mechanic... I said drive train related. ;) That includes the transmission and emissions since emissions are only related to the drive train. So you just said the exact same thing I did... doh.

TFA
10-16-2008, 02:32 PM
well the ish turned off this morning, hasent been on since. Ill give it a day or 2 to see if it turns back on, if it doesnt, F it im gonna leave it alone and forget about it.

PhantomLover007
01-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Damn SVS popped on this morning around the point I noticed that I wasn't getting too much illumination from the headlights. Drivers side was out. Do I really need an incessant warning light/bell telling me that my headlight(s) bit working. I think I would be able to notice that by the reflection on the vehicle in front of me if one of my DRL's/headlights aren't working. How about having it set up for something that's not less important.

stillriza
11-14-2009, 10:49 AM
SES means "service engine soon", SVS means "service vehicle soon". The SES light comes on when you have anything related to the drive train. The SVS light comes on for other stuff like brakes, air conditioning, lights, etc.

DTC P0440 is for the EVAP system. It applies specifically to a failure of the EVAP large leak test that the pcm does. This is straight from the factory manual...

"The following conditions wil set DTC P0440
- A missing, not completely installed, or malfunctioning fuel fill cap
- A disconnected, damaged, pinched, or blocked EVAP purge line
- A disconnected or damaged EVAP vent hose
- A disconnected, damaged, pinched, or blocked fuel tank vapor line
- A malfunctioning EVAP canister purge valve
- A malfunctioning EVAP vent valve
- An open ignition feed circuit to the EVAP vent or purge valve -- this should also set DTC P0443 or P0449
- A damaged EVAP canister
- A leaking fuel sender assembly O-ring
- A leaking fuel tank or fuel filler neck

Aaron, would one of those haynes/chilton manuals pinpoint exactly where the EVAP purge line, fuel tank vapor line, EVAP vent hose/vent valve/canister are located? Or is this something found only in one of the GM repair manuals from the dealer?

AaronGTR
11-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Not sure. I haven't looked too closely at those other manuals 'cause I only use the GM manual. I have looked at those manuals for other cars though, and just based on what other people on here get out of them, I can tell they are not nearly as complete or detailed. If you look at them in the auto parts stores, the GM manual is about 4 times as thick and is two volumes. I think they assume that most people using them are mechanics and can identify or locate a lot of that stuff their self?

stillriza
11-15-2009, 05:15 AM
would you know if those gm manuals are readily available to the public for purchase or if they are only for dealer techs?

AaronGTR
11-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Yeah, they usually make the service manuals available to the public once the first release year model has gone out of warranty. You can order new ones here Helm inc (http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?session=8E0CA40D009949F2BC8B9666A752CFC 5&Style=helm&Mfg=GMC&Make=PON&Model=GDAM&Year=2000&Category=1&Keyword=&Module=&selected_media=) and that info is also in the back of the owners manual. You can also sometimes find used manuals for cheaper here http://www.factoryautomanuals.com/

stillriza
11-15-2009, 12:53 PM
thanks aaron.

SSRacer
11-15-2009, 03:12 PM
I have had the 0440 twice before. Once, the gas cap wasn't on tight, screwed it on correctly, problem gone. The other time the gasket on the locking cap was deteriorating and starting to leak so I replaced it.

stillriza
11-16-2009, 08:58 AM
mine turned out to be the gas cap. when the wife filled up the last week she only turned it so it clicked once and not the 3 times. after 2 cold starts the code went away.