How can i flush the heater core?!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How can i flush the heater core?!!

tony t
10-16-2008, 06:57 AM
H i, i made a big mistake,i admit it ,i had a cronic coolant leak and i used one of those stop a leak bottles,bar a leak i think,now,i have practically a very small heat output,i am sure the core got pluged big time,i want to flush the entire system,isthere a effective way? i want to be ready for winter thanks

Lab Rat
10-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Go buy the Prestone flush and fill kit. Should be only a few bux. Then a bottle of Prestone radiater flush. Another few bux. You can cut into the heater hose and mount the "T' or get another piece of heater core hose and make a temperary "T" fitting. The instructions are in the kit.

But you basically run clean water from your garden hose thru the "T" with the radiater open. 10 minutes and you are all flushed out. This is done with the motor running and the heater on "high" so the whole system is cleaned. Not really hard. Good luck, hope that will do the trick.

tony t
10-16-2008, 03:22 PM
thanks for the replay,with the water hose connected to this T ,do you think it will work ? the termostat stays closed with common tap water not being hot,maybe just tring the core disconnected and later try the whole engine and related components?

gagt Mechanic
10-16-2008, 07:13 PM
I would disconnect the two heater hoses and just stick the garden hose in each side for a few min. this way you do not keep pushing the crap through your sys.

tony t
10-18-2008, 10:46 AM
ok, this is what i ended up doing,i got me one of those rubber unclogging devices that connect to the garden hose and inflate then they kind of pulsate with the water pressure,i disconnected both heater hoses at the firewall and put the thing there,crap came slowly first then...bam!like someone with diarrea! lol! i reversed the inlet to the outlet and did same,after it was all clear,i left it disconnected there(hoses) and put that blader device into the coolant reservoir and let it have it,,it began to expell the water down there at the heater inlet hose,i let it run like 5 minutes then reconnected everething back,but uses worn clamps at the heater core hoses,trew the BS oem clapms away,filled it up with one full gal of antifrese and the rest of water ,started engine ,got it wam,shut it off,watched as the reservoir level droped,put more water to mark,and closed the system,cap snug,gess what? now i have full heat output,i can not hold hands over the vents for long,hope this info helps others . thanks to the guys that offered assistance! it gave me the motivation to give it a shot .