Great LIM news on a possible fix! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Great LIM news on a possible fix!

2003SCT
10-18-2008, 09:51 PM
What do you guys think?

http://www.dsengine.com/gmgasket/index.html

CHRIS

lone_wolf025
10-18-2008, 10:07 PM
What do you guys think?

http://www.dsengine.com/gmgasket/index.html

CHRIS

Isn't that old news? Its just the metal impregnated gasket rather then the plastic one. Anyone who knows anything about the gasket failure knows to use the new gasket style...

hass
10-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Sounds cool, but the new Fel-Pro gaskets are basically a final fix if done properly.

PhantomLover007
10-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Isn't the Fel-Pro metal impregnated?

2003SCT
10-19-2008, 04:38 AM
Well:

1.) This isn't the GM unit as far as I know. On my old Achieva, I replaced the gasket and it wasn't THAT much different than the old one that was replaced...except for a little metal on the seating areas.

2.) My GA has had the new gasket update under warranty HOWEVER the problem still exists. I know other guys on here who have had the updated gasket and the problem persists so I am not the only one.

3.) It looks like this shop has gone their own way to have someone make a gasket set for them to fix one of the most prevalent issues that GM has engine-wise.

Saw this on GMInsideNews and figured it would be post worthy to solve a problem that makes a very durable motor into one that isn't so.

CHRIS

AaronGTR
10-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Never heard of them. Those are basically the same style gaskets as the fel-pro ones though. Personally none of my gaskets ever looked like the ones in their pics. The ones on my grand prix did after 130k+ miles, but that's another story. I never had a LIM leak and replaced my gaskets with the new GM ones with the metal discs in them just to be safe, and I never had a problem with those either. Last time I worked on my engine they still looked good. You have to replace them every time of course and I got the fel-pros last time, mainly because I was ordering parts from Ben at WOT-tech and it was convenient to order the gasket set from him.