Sputtering [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Sputtering

specialwoman30
10-19-2008, 12:11 AM
When I am sitting at a light the car is sputtering and then when I take off from the light it bogs down and then takes off. Can any one tell me what could be causing this issue?

Mike Jung
10-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Misfire(s) ?

Is the Service Engine Soon (SES) light on or flashing ?

If it is flashing:
From the GA owner's manual:

S.E.S. light flashing = a misfire condition has been detected. A misfire increase vehicle emissions & may damage the emission control system on your vehicle.

If flashing:
-reduce vehicle speed
-avoid hard accelerations
-avoid steep uphill grades
-reduce & carry no extra cargo/weight

If the light continues to flash (when driving):
- STOP the car, when safe to do so
- turn car off, wait 10 seconds & restart engine (& prey that the light stops flashing)
- If it doesn't, drive it to the dealer or garage (while following the above notes - if flashing)

Mis-fire = BAD!

Maybe needs:
new spark plugs & wires,
ignition coils,
fuel injector flush/cleaning via fuel system rail (it might be clogged)
BAD batch of gasoline
clogged catalytic converter

Flashing SERVICE ENGINE SOON light means severe mis-firing currently happening.

Flashing S.E.S. light also means DON'T run car! Possible engine or converter damange could result.

rocketfast123
10-19-2008, 11:56 PM
when was the last time the plugs were changed?

specialwoman30
10-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Well I figured out the problem and got it fixed. We had to change the ignition coil housing. It always seemed like it was misfiring and sure enough it was. Once we changed it out to a new one it runs smooth and not hesitations. I wanted to share this info in case someone is having the same sort of problem.

specialwoman30
10-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Another important piece of information. Make sure that you get the black housing and not the white one. The black one is a little bit more expensive but better. It runs about $43.oo at Autozone.

2laze
03-13-2009, 08:32 AM
i had same problem, turned out the neck to gas tank rusted, causing a hole. threw the pressure off. got a new neck, runs great now.cost over $200.00 at the dealer.
1999 grand am se