Axle Seal Replacement [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Axle Seal Replacement

1989gtablown632
10-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Hey everyone my sister has a 97 Grand Am GT 3100 v6. I know here drivers axle seal is bad because its dumping trans fluid all over especially when driving. It leaks right between the half shaft and trans. I did a little reaserch here and it doesnt seem that hard to do I also have a haynes manual but im at work now and dont have the manual on me. I figured Id ask for your guys opinions. I have changed half shafts before but never did the axle seal. Are there any special tools or is it hard to do? Should I do both. I Just rebuit the top end of her motor about a month ago, head gaskets on up due to the "Dreaded Coolant Leak" so im not a noob to cars but never really tinkered witht the trans. Any helps welcomed thanks Eric

gagt Mechanic
10-21-2008, 12:18 PM
as with every car there is a special tool for anything, most of the time it can be subsituted for a screwdrive or prybar. onve you get the axle out if you own a seal puller it works good, or a pry bar works just as good, 24 in should make it nice and easy, hard part is getting the axle out, seal takes a few min.

Malaclypse
10-21-2008, 09:27 PM
If you've sucessfully completed a head gasket repair and switched out halfshafts, changing an axle seal is going to be a piece of cake.

Just like replacing the axle shafts but you replace the seal when the shaft is out.