Airbag light always on [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Airbag light always on

99GTCoupe
10-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Hey all, so I was driving to work today and the asshats ahead of me slammed on their brakes. A split second too slow I hit mine, and bumped them (not hard, we were going maybe 35-45, and if I have six inches more I would not have hit :/). No real damage, they didn't even seem to care (just kept going lol).

Well, my Airbag light came on, and was on for the next five min before I parked and got out. I got in it for lunch and it was steady on again. wtf??
I rear ended someone in practically the same situation, only much harder (just a cracked bumper for me, they were fine, no cops or claims kekeke), about six months ago, but I didn't experience this.

Any ideas? Needless to say I'm a bit concerned.
I tried a search but couldn't find anything

Malaclypse
10-22-2008, 09:56 PM
You're going to have to have the codes scanned at a dealership as the generic aftermarket readers don't access body codes.

What probably happend is that minor accident may have tripped your front-end collission sensor. Don't worry about the airbags deploying with the light on. If there's a code set the system disables itself.

99GTCoupe
10-23-2008, 07:37 AM
Well that's both good and bad lol

I'd prolly rather they not deploy at all, they are such a hassle. But, then, if I get into a severe crash I'd rather they did XD
I'll see if my mechanic has the GM tool. He's got all sorts of ****, if he does, that will be way cheaper lol

DrFabulous
10-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Maybe not drive so close to other people in the future, eh?

99GTCoupe
10-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Hey, in my defense there was a car length. I just had the unlucky break of glancing over to see if I could get into the other lane :/

AznGA
10-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Probably a bad sensor. Might want to get that checked out soon.
I had one replaced under warranty.

intmd8r
10-27-2008, 04:57 AM
Hey, in my defense there was a car length. I just had the unlucky break of glancing over to see if I could get into the other lane :/

I don't know about the driver's Ed in the US, but the one that I went to said a minimum of 2 lol But seriously, **** happens to good people. At least everyone was OK.

cardude007617
10-27-2008, 07:28 AM
1 car length per 10 miles per hour:
so like 10-1 car length, 20- 2 car lengths.... 60-6 lengths.
pretty sure no one follows that