Help me pick a good camera upgrade [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a good camera upgrade

lone_wolf025
10-25-2008, 12:06 PM
I currently have a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT and I'm looking into an upgrade. My usage right now is fairly amateur level stuff, but I want a more reliable better quality camera. The most important thing to me is focus related as the XT sucks on that regard. Megapixels are not important as I don't do any photo printing currently. Larger LCD screen and better menu would be nice as well. Also, how good is the viewer on these other cameras compared to the XT?

I've looked at the XTi, XSi, and 40d. The XTi is a minor upgrade but I've heard it has issues with the exposure meter. The XSi looks pretty sharp, but with the live preview it seems more geared towards the SLR converts, whereas I'm more interested in the stuff geared towards professionals.

What it really boils down to is I want a better quality camera that isn't too crazy complex and is something that I won't begin to see the limits of right away.

Mike Jung
10-25-2008, 02:25 PM
If your budget allows it...

The new hot thing is:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=17662) :heh:

Comes out around the end of November.

All stores are taking pre-orders for it now.

Note: It is a full size sensor camera.
(So no Canon EF-s series lenses !)

K WeRd
10-25-2008, 02:33 PM
that is almost 3x what i paid for the grand am....

lone_wolf025
10-25-2008, 03:12 PM
If your budget allows it...

The new hot thing is:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=17662) :heh:

Comes out around the end of November.

All stores are taking pre-orders for it now.

Note: It is a full size sensor camera.
(So no Canon EF-s series lenses !)

That's just a TAD bit out of my price range right now. At least with the 40d I could probably find a good deal especially by trading in my Rebel. Besides, the newer something is, the more quirks that have to be worked out :p

Plus, I don't want to get rid of my Canon EF 1.4 f/s 50mm fixed lens just yet.