what's better gm car 4cyl or 6cyl if they have very close hp and tq [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : what's better gm car 4cyl or 6cyl if they have very close hp and tq

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
10-25-2008, 03:36 PM
i just picked up a new cobalt brouchure. i had no idea they stopped the s/c version that had 205 hp but i always heard it was more like 245 hp... now they have a turbo 260 hp . holly crap.

makes me wounder why i am still holding on to my gagt and for how much longer and just how far do i or should i go with this customising???? i love the look of my car , even more the more i do to it. in fact i think it looks better then the newer turbo ss cobalt body wise.

this turbo ss cobalt has 260hp @5300/ 260 tq @2000 rpm. compare that againest the g8 6 cylinder with 256 hp @6300 and 248tq @2100.....

besides the fact the g8 in my head looks better outside and likey inside versus the ss cobalt , which has the better engine . will one likely out last the other .

i always ruled out most 4 cylinders reguardless of hp/tq figures ( unless porsche or WRX STI etc ) because i thought 4 cylinders would not ride as smoothly , as quitely ,be able to pull or carry as much load , and may not last as long or more maintenance etc .

why would gm make a newer g8 versus the ss cobalt and give it less power then the cobalt. i know there is the difference of rear versus front wheel drive there . BUT ????

would hate to buy a g8 6 cylinder and have a ss cobalt blows my doors off. heck even the g8 8 cylinder has there large tq at a much higher rev line. i would think cobalt would take it off the start but fall back while going down the track because of the g8 8 cyl more hp

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
10-25-2008, 04:16 PM
also you know the vette / camaro caliper dual piston and 12" impala rotor many are doing , as i want to also. aren't these inferior to the brembo 4 piston setup these ss turbo charge cobalts come with now. just by looking at the brouchure photo of the brembo's they have the top of the calipers are open up for i would think better cooling.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
10-29-2008, 08:04 PM
chime in with your knowledge info please

Rich
10-29-2008, 10:04 PM
well, what exactly are you asking? both cars are different enough i think to make the choice easier to make. it depends on what you need out of the car. either way, i think both are probably a better option than keeping your GA.

lone_wolf025
10-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Rich is right, it kinda depends on what you want, but there are a few factors to think about.

The 4 banger is GM's Ecotech right? That's a helluva good engine as I recall. Its FWD which means understeer and torquesteer, but if you make it scream at the limits you can push through those. Its fast, light, and correct me if I'm wrong, but has pretty good mileage too.

The G8 6 banger I don't know about, but its probably one of their pushrod engines maybe a 60 degree V6? But the G8 is heavy. Put a Cobalt SS and G8 (6cyl) on the line, and the Cobalt's gonna win I would think. I don't have the stats for weight on both in front of me, but put it to ya this way, the Cobalt SS beats out the WRX sti and the Lancer Evo (don't ask which one I don't know off the top of my head) stock to stock.

My vote would be for the Cobalt personally. It can handle very well (for the economy car it is), and while doesn't look TOO bad (again IMO) is pretty well rounded. If I was gonna get a G8 I'd get the V8 version. I'd say, drive them both, sit in them both, and decide on which one you like. Parts can always be upgraded later if they're not all that great from the factory.

Elderas
10-30-2008, 01:39 AM
i always ruled out most 4 cylinders reguardless of hp/tq figures ( unless porsche or WRX STI etc ) because i thought 4 cylinders would not ride as smoothly , as quitely ,be able to pull or carry as much load , and may not last as long or more maintenance etc .

classic no replacement for displacement mentality eh

Malaclypse
10-31-2008, 06:45 PM
I may be a little biased but the Cobalt is the better performer for the money... by -far-.

Just don't expect to tow with it. Its also rated to get 30 mpg on the freeway, and yes while torquesteer and understeer are a problem with FWD cars, the suspension is tuned so well that torquesteer is almost nonexsistant. Understeer will happen whenever you take a corver too fast. That's just the laws of physics.

However the brakes are rock solid, which is a first for a Chevy, and the engine itself is damn near bulletproof.

The G8 weighs in at around 3,800 lbs if I remember right, the Cobalt at around 3,000. Also, the V6 in the G8 is the 3.6 VVT engine that's been used in Cadillacs since 2004. The 3.6 is actually rock solid as well but you can't possibly expect it to perform like the Cobalt in a heavy car.