rod bearing.. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : rod bearing..

theflash4740
10-27-2008, 06:23 PM
how much would it bee if i had a bad rod bearing.. need to replace it cause of the knocking in the engine...?

stewartfn18
10-27-2008, 06:30 PM
If its knocking during start up, thats normal(piston slap). If its ticking when its cold thats normal(rocker arms), and if its ticking when its warm, check the rocker arms to see if they are properly torqed. Hell, if you listen close enough, you can hear the injectors tick. If it is a rod bearing however, id imagine it to be pretty pricy considering the oil pan has to come off and in order for that to happen you need to in someway lift the engine to get the pan out. Be more specific in what its doing before posting a question. There are a hundred different things that can tick or knock on the 3400.

350rs
10-27-2008, 10:50 PM
if you have a bad rod bearing.. you best have the crankshaft checked and possibly ground depending on the severity of the wear. how do you know its the rod bearing? what says " hey, im a rod bearing and ive gone bad!"? not saying your wrong, but whats makin you think thats it?

KrazyGT-03
10-28-2008, 12:31 AM
one of the easiest ways to determine rod bearing failure is to listen to the "bottom" of your engine. (if you dont have a lift, get on your knees and listen to it from under your bumper) if your rod bearing(s) are bad, you will hear a light (or loud depending how bad they are) knocking sound... and make sure the engine is at normal operating temperature when you do this.

hope this helps out...

KhellendrosxS
10-28-2008, 04:33 AM
In his other thread he said its coming from the top of the engine around the valve covers.

You have a bad lifter or a bad rocker.

theflash4740
10-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Yea haha thanks for readin the other one bud, but im goin by what other ppl say and some say its a bad lifter and some say its a bad rod bearing and when they said it was a bad bearing ppl said it would be pricey so i was jw. And the knock starts right away when i start the car all the way till i turn it off, when i hit the gas it ticks alot louder and faster varying on how much i give the pedal. Im just worried if i keep drivin her i might see somethin fly out my engine right through the hood and that will be the end of that haha, wouldnt suprise me.

KhellendrosxS
10-28-2008, 02:10 PM
See my above post for solution.

I had the same problem while mine was under and extended warranty and it turned out to be a rocker. They replaced them all but had I know what I was doing (I do now thanks to reading all over these forums) Id have done it myself.

If you retorque them and it doesnt go away get a mechanics stethoscope (hose and a funnel) and stick the funnel up to your ear and point the hose where the noise sounds like its coming from. It will get louder as you get closer to the actual noise and if you are under the car near the pan and its really quiet as compared to holding he hose over a valve cover then your problem is not a bearing.