power steering pump replacement? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : power steering pump replacement?

blondiez24gt
10-28-2008, 01:48 PM
My power steering was makeing a whineing noise so I checked the fluid level, and it was low. I added more, and it continues to leak within a day and whine again. So I was wondering how tough of a job it is to change the power steering pump on My 99 grand am gt? Autozones website shows no details on how to change it on this car.;crap Or is there a way You can check the pump to see where it is leaking and fix it easier that way? I've never messed with the power steering pumps thats why I'm asking. Thanks.

KhellendrosxS
10-28-2008, 03:20 PM
This was in the HOW TO section:

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41047&highlight=replace+power+steering+pump

blondiez24gt
10-28-2008, 03:24 PM
I got a quote to change out the entire power steering pump for $50 from a guy I know is that a good deal? I already have the pump.

AaronGTR
10-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Yeah, thats pretty cheap. Getting the pump out isn't too hard. There are three 13mm bolts that hold it in, and you have to stick a socket through the pulley to get to them. The bottom bolt is below the level of the engine mount, so you have to support the engine with a wood board and jack and then remove the mount to get to it. After that just disconnect the lines, and the electrical plug for the variable effort steering valve if your car is equipped with that.

One note, the new pumps typically don't come with a pulley and you have to switch it over from the old pump. It takes a special puller to get that pulley off, so I hope your friend has that tool. You might also have to switch over the fluid reservoir. Some come with them, some don't, depending on where you bought it. I do know you can buy the reservoir separate from the pump though and sometimes they actually leak from the reservoir connection to the pump and just need a new reservoir and seal to fix the leak. If your pump has been run low on fluid though and whines it's probably a good idea to replace it anyway.

armith
10-30-2008, 09:21 AM
GT models have the variable effort steering right?

My power steering whines and has been shot for about the last 90k miles.. I have been fine driving it with nearly no power steering. It deters people from wanting to drive it too. The other day though I thought WOW I forgot what its like to parallel park without needing a gym membership, maybe I should get around to replacing mine.

I know I'm a :loser

AaronGTR
10-30-2008, 11:09 PM
GT models have the variable effort steering right?

My power steering whines and has been shot for about the last 90k miles.. I have been fine driving it with nearly no power steering. It deters people from wanting to drive it too. The other day though I thought WOW I forgot what its like to parallel park without needing a gym membership, maybe I should get around to replacing mine.

I know I'm a :loser

Well, actually I believe both V6 models, SE and GT, had the variable effort steering available. GM parts direct shows both types of pumps available for v6 and 4cyl models, but only for certain years. It was available on the earlier cars like 99-02, and at some point in grand am production they switched to straight non-variable steering pumps only. Therefore you have to get the right pump for the year car you have and whether your original pump had it or not. It's easy to tell. Variable effort has an electrical plug on the bottom that controls the proportioning valve, non-variable has no plug.

blondiez24gt
10-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Well got it fixed. My friend fixed it in about an hour and a half. I guess if You got the right tools it ain't bad. I don't know if He worked solid on My car the whole time though, because He owns a repair shop so... it could have been quicker than that I guess. It steers better now! lol I thought it steered good before. I just got tired of the whineing noise. No more whineing, and quicker steering! I like the car more now! lol

hass
10-31-2008, 09:29 PM
That lucas power steering pump stuff is pretty good too.
Used that as a patch after it started squeaking after I did my LIM/head gasket.
That was 7k a go, hasn't leaked a bit (the level hasn't went down any) and no squeaks!