Cam Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cam Question

Upshift
10-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Alright, i have a question for you guys. How good or bad of an idea would it be to shove a stage 2 or stage 3 cam from either MPRACING or WOT-TECH into a stock 3400(of course with the appropriate valvesprings and pushrods)? It's a daily driver Alero but i'd like a bit more power to it so I was wondering if putting a more agressive cam would work.

If it would be possible, which grind are these cams and which one of the two would be more appropriate? And if i do go the just-the-cam route, is PCM tuning a must?

If not, what other mods are absolutely necessairy to accompany the cam?

Nick-G
10-30-2008, 10:01 AM
You should be able to run a cam no problem.

Upshift
10-30-2008, 10:11 AM
is the power gain good for the price?

AaronGTR
10-30-2008, 10:16 PM
On an otherwise stock engine and with no pcm tuning... I'd only run a stage1 cam and no higher, and the custom pushrods and at least LS1 springs are a must.

Stage 2, and especially stage 3.... you aren't going to get nearly the power increase you should from the cam without having ported heads, manifolds, and especially headers because the stock exhaust manifolds are restrictive and they'll choke flow from the cam. The car would probably run with them, but it wouldn't run well without tuning and it wouldn't be fun to drive everyday. You might even end up killing a catalytic converter and an O2 sensor or two from not having a consistent air/fuel ratio. For the bigger cams, I recommend bigger injectors like 28lb/hr trailblazer injectors and pcm tuning. Otherwise you're wasting money on big cams that you aren't taking advantage of.

alerored04
10-30-2008, 10:25 PM
My stage 2 has not needed larger injectors yet, but sadly I am still on stock exhaust mani's. Good power gains though. Tuning is quite necessary with this cam though. From what I heard from ben the LS1 springs are little better than stock. He recommends LS6 or comp's.

stewartfn18
10-31-2008, 06:14 AM
im doing a build with basically everything aaron said so ill let you (actually everybody) how my build goes.

XtremeGaGt00
10-31-2008, 09:12 AM
ive got a stage 3 turbo cam from 60degree with ls6 valvesprings in..700 miles and no problems

Upshift
10-31-2008, 09:14 AM
On an otherwise stock engine and with no pcm tuning... I'd only run a stage1 cam and no higher, and the custom pushrods and at least LS1 springs are a must.

Stage 2, and especially stage 3.... you aren't going to get nearly the power increase you should from the cam without having ported heads, manifolds, and especially headers because the stock exhaust manifolds are restrictive and they'll choke flow from the cam. The car would probably run with them, but it wouldn't run well without tuning and it wouldn't be fun to drive everyday. You might even end up killing a catalytic converter and an O2 sensor or two from not having a consistent air/fuel ratio. For the bigger cams, I recommend bigger injectors like 28lb/hr trailblazer injectors and pcm tuning. Otherwise you're wasting money on big cams that you aren't taking advantage of.

I was suspicious about the possibility of restrictive airflow, but I decided i'd ask anyways, I am still a noob in the modding department. And asking proved a good idea, especially since i wasn't expecting issues with the cat and o2 sensor. Thanks for the input Aaron, much appreciated.

And thank you to everyone who gave me some input on this. All of it has been useful to me.

Oh and Davd, I beat you to it. I'm already subscribed to your Custom build thread. The subscription feature is pretty handy for someone who's trying to gather info. :D

Upshift
10-31-2008, 09:16 AM
ive got a stage 3 turbo cam from 60degree with ls6 valvesprings in..700 miles and no problems

Although your ride is.. relatively... far from stock.

Well guess there's no easy way to do things. So i guess ill just have to save up my cash and get my hands dirty.

stewartfn18
10-31-2008, 10:14 AM
thats the only way of doing things.