Hip hip hooray!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hip hip hooray!!

350rs
10-30-2008, 02:46 PM
YAY FOR LIM GASKET LEAKES!! :banghead

forgot about that stupid fuel line dissconect thing i have, broke that fuel rail.. ;crap

now im ALMOST there. i got the serp. belt off, alternator out the way, and move on to take off the PSP. HOW IN THE HELL does one do that without pulling the motor? it can be done cause i know it has been, but how? i felt around for bolt heads, but the only ones i see are behind the pully and it dosent look like i have the clearance to pull it even if i managed to get a puller on there. HELP!!

Nick-G
10-30-2008, 03:15 PM
To take off the power steering pump take the bolts off of the motor mount then with a jack and a block of wood lift the motor up from the oil pan until you can get a socket in their.

350rs
10-30-2008, 06:05 PM
thats lovely... JUST what i wanted to hear...

FOR SALE 1 2001 Grand Am GT... lol

350rs
10-31-2008, 07:23 PM
ok. got everything off. im nearly ready to put it back together ( i only have a little bit of time to work on it at a time so its gonna take awhile..) as i stated. i broke the fuel rail, i have a new one now. my question is how do i get that rail off of the old injectors? everything is still on the LIM as far as the injectors and rail itself. if only i had remembered that damn clip..

anywho, other than that all is going well for now. Anybody ever had trouble getting it to fire agian once its put back togeter? ive heard of the security system going kinda haywire ( would figure, passlock is junk..). how is that correctable?

hass
10-31-2008, 08:26 PM
security never gave me issues. since you're not really changing anything.
Make sure you get a new O-ring on that fuel rail though if you took out that connection.
(the one on the right side [the side towards the cabin of the car] has the pesky o-ring).
Goes to **** when it hits air and if you don't replace it, it will leak fuel ^_^
Damn thing costs 20 bucks at a dealer though, and advanced/autozone and such don't sell them lol.

350rs
11-01-2008, 07:50 AM
my new one actually came with an o ring. i suppose thats what i was. lucky me.... lol

AaronGTR
11-01-2008, 08:05 AM
I got one of those O-rings at advance auto parts. They just don't sell them individually, you have to buy a pack of assorted sizes of O-rings. Only costs a couple bucks. There is nothing special about that O-ring, it's just a certain size, but it always ends up getting nicked on the threads in the end of the fuel rail when you pull it out which is why it will leak if you don't replace it.

timka86
11-01-2008, 08:12 AM
i was oging to say i got a fuel rail if you like, but you already got one. ...

350rs
11-01-2008, 10:06 AM
im still having a hell of a time getting the old one OFF the intake. how do i take it off without breaking stuff? pull here a little pull there a little repeat?

350rs
11-01-2008, 11:37 AM
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa162/mean350rs/fuelrail001.jpg

update. ive got the rails off finally but i compared the two ends and they look the same. so i assume thats what its supposed to look like. ( i thought it was broken...) so i gave it a test fit and it dosent fit like it use to.. why not? is there a little clip that just detroyed itself when i pulled it out? IF so, where would one get that and whats it called?

AaronGTR
11-02-2008, 07:16 AM
No, the two ends of the fuel rail are not alike. The supply line side is threaded, the side that the regulator goes on is not. The regulator has an O-ring that goes on it, and the supply line has an O-ring that goes on the threaded tube nut, and those are the only things that go in the ends of the rails. There are no clips or anything. The supply line can be hard to get back in, and you have to be very careful or you'll cut the O-ring pushing it in and it will leak. You need to lube the O-ring with some oil first, and you have to keep the supply pipe perfectly straight and level when you push it in. There is a metal bracket that holds both fuel pipes on a stud on the side of the head... I recommend taking the nut off and pulling the bracket off the stud so you have more play with the tube.

350rs
11-02-2008, 11:29 AM
i was talking about the new rail and the old one which i thought i had broken. i know the return and supply ends are different, any monkey can see that one.. lol

so i need an o ring that fits around the supply line that threads into the rail huh? hm..

AaronGTR
11-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Ah, ok. Couldn't tell exactly what you where talking about there. But yeah, the fuel rails themselves should be exactly the same. They never changed it as far as I'm aware. Any problems with things fitting could just be O-ring and tube alignment issues as I mentioned. There shouldn't be anything else that would affect it.

350rs
11-02-2008, 04:33 PM
well i was cruisin along puttin it back together today and i get to the alt. bracket.. and thats where it ends.. haha..

i forgot that lift point and went to give it a final tightening and snap, i broke it in half. im not a big fan of aluminum parts, there one of the reasons. its to brittle. so a new one of those and i SHOULD be homeward bound. i got the lower on and a few hoses connected, valve covers, yada yada. ive got a bad back so i cant stay stooped over for very long without some insane pain.. tomorrow i call around and see if i can get me one of the brackets. Any of you broken that before? how much is it? im gona try a few places before i try dealer.

hass
11-03-2008, 10:03 AM
ah ya, i almost broke that on mine.
Got really lucky though.
I forgot to put the uhm... That engine hoist thing (the big metal piece with the 0 looking thing) back in place.
Bolted it up, I heard a little snap when I did it... but figured i was tightening them wrong.

WAs driving around, came back.. and looked in the engine bay and say the bracket at the bottom of the bay, haha.
ew.

350rs
11-03-2008, 11:10 AM
smooth, i heard that pop and PRAYED it wasnt a head somehow. got lucky and the dealer had it for 30 bucks. so tomorrow when i wake up im putting it all back together ( alt and air cleaner setup is all thats left) and changing the oil and fireing her up. if something is on the fritz, ill fix it and put it at the end of the drive with a for sale sign. im more of a truck guy anyway.. lol

350rs
11-04-2008, 11:11 AM
i dominated that gasket..