pinging on loads only WHY , did my search [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : pinging on loads only WHY , did my search

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
11-01-2008, 04:03 AM
...please read in it's detail >> i know i as talking about my 2007 grand prix 3.8L n/a. but your info should still help. notice begiining of oct COOL day when i loaded 4 winter tires 215/60/16 with 4 steel rims and aired up . 1 on each side of rear seat and 1 each bascially side by side in the trunk.

i had to drive around a bit that day before and after load , so car was warmed up alot . everytime i stepped on the gas from a stand still or MANY times when i drove slow but had to step on the gas to pass etc. i would hear very load but breif pinging. i never paid any attention to rpms ( sorry )as to when it happened. after this i added a measured amount of fuel injectors cleaner to gas tank hoping that would fix .

now at end of month bit cooler some frosty nights , this trip was at night and car was cold ,i had me and on passenger front seat and 5 in back seat plastic storage tubs , each filled with clothes . i would GUESS maybe 25 to 35 pounds each ??? and in trunk this time again guessing 50 to 70 pounds ?? i could hear on hard excellaration at various times and volumes the pinging still. not has often or as load as before with the rim/tire load.

i use regular gas most often ESSO , car has 46,500 klms bought this may with 31,500 .

these 2 loads times fresh ( less then 3000 klms on it ) regular oil ,not cheapy but not most expensive either , this time quaker state this time i believe ?? all other fluids are good.

now this has a load carry rate ( occupants and load of of 917 pounds / 416kg ). ..i was way under that with the tub load + just me + trunk load Total 475 lbs ???
and i am sure i was not even close to that with the tire/rim total guessing 635 lbs ?? . basically load no load no ping .

with me + wife + 2 kids and normal trunk load , about 545 pounds , day old oil , long hwy trip etc ,again no ping

nickofcourse
11-01-2008, 11:22 AM
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070901195015AAQVtk5

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
11-01-2008, 12:18 PM
BUT THAT SECOND TRIP THE ENGINE WAS COMPLETELY COLD , 5 MINTUTES OR LESS FROM HOME. and it was cold enough out to where my nose ran.

Malaclypse
11-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Most likely cause is going to be fuel since that's the variable that will change most often.

Actually, come to think of it I'm not sure if gas stations have switched to the winter blend yet. I'm not sure what the difference is but I think it'd be lower ethanol content. The gas refineries may have to adjust the octane of the fuel to adjust for changing temperature conditions.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
11-01-2008, 06:10 PM
you know i use petro canada for years up here til about 3 years back i stopped because i was getting if i remember alot of pinging with there gas in that last winter with them. so i have been using esso faithfully for last 3 years with no problem .

i did hear back when i stopped using petro canada that gas station get different gas in the winter. if this is true they should keep the summer stuff for all areas except extreme cold areas. we are not one of those areas i think.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
11-03-2008, 10:42 PM
well only one day 1/4 down from full tank of the higher octane 91 and the winter gasline antifreeze. i notice that i do still have a ping AT TIMES and RATHER lower in volume with none LOADS in the car. and only occurs with tramping on gas for a second. i know it maybe too early yet to see what effect on this pinging ( if any ) the higher octane 91 gas + gasline antifreeze + plus added today stp 2 in 1 octane boost that cleans also.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
11-30-2008, 03:30 PM
well back to regular 87 octane gas. and with a small load of stuff inside the car she pinged a little when you tramped on it .

so i figure before original warranty ( not extended still will have that ) is gone , and seeing that will likely be this dec when that part of warranty is gone .

and seeing it is winter i figure throw some blankets on back seat and throw some of the GM dealers salt bags inside car and in trunk.

and were they are measured weight i can if needed tell how much weight we put in the car for the test drive to duplicate the ping at it's loudest and more steady occurences

Malaclypse
11-30-2008, 06:17 PM
Not a whole hell of alot you can do to take care of this issue.

Top engine decarbon, fuel filter, injector flush are about the only things that'll help. Other than that, finding fuel that won't cause spark knock under your conditions is the only solution.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
11-30-2008, 06:51 PM
wounder what the GM dealer will do , when they hear the pinging most often and loudess under load ???... they can tell me to do the change where i get my gas , or go to higher octane or octane boost or fuel treatment or injector cleaner ( bottled stuff you add to the gas) ,because i have done all this .... i use good quality oil , not sythentic yet .

cardude007617
11-30-2008, 09:21 PM
if its not detrimental to the car or you (it might just be the nature of the car) they might not do anything...

Malaclypse
12-01-2008, 12:23 AM
wounder what the GM dealer will do , when they hear the pinging most often and loudess under load ???... they can tell me to do the change where i get my gas , or go to higher octane or octane boost or fuel treatment or injector cleaner ( bottled stuff you add to the gas) ,because i have done all this .... i use good quality oil , not sythentic yet .

What I mentioned is what'd I'd tell a customer with a similar concern.

The decarbon is very unlikely to fix anything. Those bottles of Octane booster aren't as effective as using premium. The injector flush you pour into the tank isn't near as effective as a flush run from the fuel rail.

Basically there isn't much you can. If you find a fuel that the car knocks least on, use that fuel when possible and don't sweat it. The PCM will work to prevent internal engine damage.

lone_wolf025
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
What I mentioned is what'd I'd tell a customer with a similar concern.

The decarbon is very unlikely to fix anything. Those bottles of Octane booster aren't as effective as using premium. The injector flush you pour into the tank isn't near as effective as a flush run from the fuel rail.

Basically there isn't much you can. If you find a fuel that the car knocks least on, use that fuel when possible and don't sweat it. The PCM will work to prevent internal engine damage.

Assuming the computer and related sensors are all working properly.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
12-01-2008, 04:47 PM
i always thought pinging ( not talking about knocking ) could damage or lead to worse things for your engine .

Malaclypse
12-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Assuming the computer and related sensors are all working properly.

If the knock sensing system fails, the PCM pulls alot of spark for a fail-safe mode. It'd also set a code and turn on the check engine light.

Rest assured that there are very rarely problems with the knock sensing system on the grand am.

Heavy detonation is bad for an engine, yes. No doubt about that. But a very light amount of ping and only at snap throttle isn't such an urgent concern.

lone_wolf025
12-01-2008, 05:55 PM
i always thought pinging ( not talking about knocking ) could damage or lead to worse things for your engine .

Technically yes, but Mala's right.

If the knock sensing system fails, the PCM pulls alot of spark for a fail-safe mode. It'd also set a code and turn on the check engine light.

Rest assured that there are very rarely problems with the knock sensing system on the grand am.

Heavy detonation is bad for an engine, yes. No doubt about that. But a very light amount of ping and only at snap throttle isn't such an urgent concern.

Yea you have a point. Still, its always good to check anyways just to be 100% certain.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
12-01-2008, 06:38 PM
my great , loudess and steady pinging comes when the car is loaded down with weight. be it inside and trunk or just inside. touching the gas reasonable hard passing or hills or even straights while under load... empty car much much harder to hear and get to ping .

i will let you guys in on something. this pinging is happening with my 2007 GP, 3.8N/A engine . but yours guys info likely works well for both gp's and ga's.

never had this kind or much ping with my ga. only one time extremely lightly one winter, with petro canada gas . changed gas never a problem again.