Factory Amp [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Factory Amp

hybridfury
11-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Hello, I have a 2001 gt with the monsoon system. For about the last year I have had no sounds at all in my car. The last time I listened to music it all the sudden just cut out. The only thing I ever noticed that may have caused this was that I had a steel fishtape (a tool for pulling various kinds of cabling) in my trunk and it unrolled about 1 foot of slack that was magnetically stuck to the bottom of one of my rear speakers which possibly tapped the +/- inputs on the speaker. Maybe this shorted something out? The headunit works fine, the EQ dances like music is playing, but i get no sound at all. I was thinking it could be the amp, is there a way to test it?

gabriel1985
11-10-2008, 01:17 AM
Check all your Fuse's? I'm just guessing though.

hybridfury
11-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Yah, I checked the one in the driver side door fuse box and the one under the hood and they are both good.

GrandAmGT-2008
11-10-2008, 10:31 AM
isn't there a fusebox on the passenger side also?

hybridfury
11-10-2008, 02:20 PM
There is a fuse box on the passenger side as well, but none are labled as amplifier only radio and that fuse is good. The only place I found a fuse labled as amplifier was on the driver side, not under the hood or on the passenger side. Am I missing checking a fuse somewhere?

GrandAmGT-2008
11-10-2008, 02:23 PM
i've seen headunits go bad, as in not producing sound.. and still power up and everything else.

hybridfury
11-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Nah, it's producing sound. I work telecommunications and have a device that detects noise coming across cables and I can hear music coming out of the harness when I unplug it from the amp. Trying to find my multi-meter now and check to see if power is getting to it. If all else fails I guess I'll be hitting ebay up to find a new one or does anyone here have one they wanna sell if need be? I maintain phone systems for a chain of about 12 dealerships and my discounted price for the amp through them is over $300, over $600 undiscounted. What a joke, for 600 I could install a decent aftermarket system with subs.

SSRacer
11-10-2008, 02:49 PM
I think I still have the monsoon amp from my factory stereo...don't think I sold it yet. I'll check when I get home. If I've still got it I'll send it to ya for $30 + shipping.

hybridfury
11-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Well, I ran a multi-meter on wires E11 and E12 (although in the following post they are both labled as E11) which according to the following post are the positive voltage wires and I am getting 12 volts on each and music is coming thru the harness, but not out the amp.

Monsoon Wire Pinout Thread: http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8051

This leads me to believe the only thing left that it could be is the amp so I am in the market for a replacement. SSRacer if you still have yours I will definitely buy it or if anyone has got one they wanna sell. Also, I'm open to any other suggestions on this, but I think it's pretty much narrowed down to the amp.

SSRacer
11-11-2008, 07:33 AM
I do still have mine. I'll post a couple of pics of it when I get home tonight cause I'm not sure if they made any changes to the amp from 01 to 02

hybridfury
11-11-2008, 10:59 AM
As far as I have seen there has been no difference in the amp in any of the early 2000 models. The amp I took out has a model number on it of: 22674744 So, I guess if you got the same then hopefully I'll be listening to music again soon :P

SSRacer
11-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Yup, that's the same model. PM me your email and address and I'll send you a paypal invoice. Call it $38 shipped?