lets play, "Name that leak" [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : lets play, "Name that leak"

cardude007617
11-13-2008, 09:35 PM
ill keep this simple:
oil is going down. coolant is NOT going down at all. nothing on driver's side of the block. leak drips down to about where the AC is. LIM was done back in march of this year at a dealership... no smoke out the exhaust. car runs fine. power steering fluid isnt leaking. well none of the fluids except for the oil is going down.
any ideas?
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/cardude007617/DSC01643.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/cardude007617/DSC01644.jpg

lone_wolf025
11-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Front main seal maybe? From the looks of things the oil is dripping onto a pulley and being flung upwards. I'd inspect the front of the engine REAL well.

cardude007617
11-13-2008, 10:06 PM
lol i stood outside in the rain a little while ago doing just that. i dont THINK its dripping onto any of the belt, cuz i notice squeeling or slippage most likely... right?
looks likes it real wet on the passenger side for the front 3 cylindars and underneath the front set of exhaust outlets. make sense?

im asking this tonight because i have a 120 mile drive ahead of me tomorrow to get the car home for an appointment next friday at the dealer i had the LIM done at back in march. and after a little drive today, i noticed it getting worse...

02GAGT49k
11-13-2008, 10:20 PM
I had an oil leak in a similar location from a bad oil pan gasket... made the belts fling oil, also made it look like a front main seal. no way to realy tell other then crawl underneath and look.

lone_wolf025
11-13-2008, 10:34 PM
How much oil are you leaking in the period of a day? Unless you're leaking quarts at a time (which I doubt) you'll be fine. If you're worried about it top off your oil before you go, bring a quart with you and check it at a suitable halfway point.

Edit-

Least its not coolant. I have a slow coolant leak that I have yet to nail down despite a new LIM and new manifolds -_-

cardude007617
11-13-2008, 10:39 PM
well put it this way, the oil stick has 4 lines i beleive and a F. i drive about 250 miles a week (from green bay (college) to milwaukee (home) and i do a little driving around home) every week. i can fill it back to around the F from at or just below the 4th line 2x over a week

Malaclypse
11-13-2008, 10:42 PM
In the order of likelyhood, valley of the engine where the intake meets the block, oil pan gasket, front valve cover gasket.

As for the droplets of liquid? Those look kinda like coolant but kinda like PS fluid.

cardude007617
11-13-2008, 10:44 PM
those droplets on the belt routing guide thing are rain drops... it was raining when i took these pictures lol

lone_wolf025
11-13-2008, 10:48 PM
well put it this way, the oil stick has 4 lines i beleive and a F. i drive about 250 miles a week (from green bay (college) to milwaukee (home) and i do a little driving around home) every week. i can fill it back to around the F from at or just below the 4th line 2x over a week

So roughly about 1 quart ever 125 miles...hmm. That's an AWFUL lot of oil in a short amount of time. Well here's what ya do then. Get some simple green or other suitable heavy degreaser and clean the sh!t out of the front end and on the front underside of that engine. Once its spic and span, drive it HARD for a few miles and check the front end again. And check both sides of the belt. It should be dry and dull on the bottom. Top can be a little shiny but if its so shiny it looks like its been polished wherever its leaking is dripping onto the belt.

Since you're leaking that much oil that quickly I wouldn't bet on the oil pan cuz by the time it hits the pan its relatively low pressure, but check it out real thoroughly anyways.

cardude007617
11-13-2008, 10:53 PM
no its not THAT much. maybe half a quart per 500 miles? i honestly dont know, its just recently gotton worse

notsoaveragej0e
11-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Do you park in the same place all the time? I'd check the ground for oil spots; also, are you sure it isn't burning it, just at a slow rate (slow enough that your exhaust wouldn't be smoking)?

lone_wolf025
11-14-2008, 12:49 AM
no its not THAT much. maybe half a quart per 500 miles? i honestly dont know, its just recently gotton worse

I'd still wipe down the front of the engine. The best way to find where a leak is coming from is to start looking from a clean slate.

But, if you're down a halfquart every 500 miles that's better, but still not good.

KhellendrosxS
11-14-2008, 06:06 AM
I had a couple of pan bolts loosen up on me a while back and I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out where it was coming from. My belt never squealed and it flung it all over that side of the engine.

Youll need a couple of really long extensions to get in around the frame in some places but I would definately not rule out what the others have suggested. I agree with taking the car to a car wash and hosing down the engine after you spray de-greaser on it. Just put a bag over the alternator and you should be fine as long as you arent blasting any of the electrical components. Also, it might just involve keeping the spray directed at the front and lower sides of the motor.

cardude007617
11-14-2008, 07:52 AM
but isnt the oil pan lower down on the engine? like towards the bottom more? this is definetly leaking from the seems of the block and not being flung up and around the block. there is a little bit of coolant visable floating in the oil when i open the oil filler cap... but isnt a little almost normal?

KhellendrosxS
11-14-2008, 08:49 AM
You shouldnt have oil floating in your valve covers which is where you add the oil. Its supposed to percolate up to lube the valves/springs and dribble back down the passages. A little condensation on the cap is generally OK in cold weather due to not being heated up long enough for it to evaporate out of the valve covers.

Now if theres lots of oil in the valve cover with coolant on top I have no idea what would be causing that but it sure isnt good and sounds like you may have gunk blocking the passages for the oil to drain back down which might be forcing it out of the seals.

Still, take some de-greaser and head to the car wash so you can get an exact idea of what seals are leaking.

cardude007617
11-16-2008, 10:16 PM
hmm i have about a 1/4 of an inch, maybe a bit more in there.....

well i made it home...the oil actually barely went down at all so it must be a semi- intermitant problem. i guess we'll wait and see what the dealer finds this friday

GrandAmGT-2008
11-16-2008, 11:06 PM
but isnt the oil pan lower down on the engine? like towards the bottom more? this is definetly leaking from the seems of the block and not being flung up and around the block. there is a little bit of coolant visable floating in the oil when i open the oil filler cap... but isnt a little almost normal?

coolant in oil is NEVER normal.