engine and battery problems :( HELP [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : engine and battery problems :( HELP

GrandAmC9
11-16-2008, 10:47 PM
well i finally got the motor and transmission back in my car and running but now i have a couple of problems.

- when i start it up it "idles" around 2000rpm and if you give it any gas it will jump up to 3000rpm and stay there for a second before going back down to 2

- and when i did the wireing i got it figured out but i have no idea what to do with any of the wires that come out of the negative termanal of the battery. my girlfreinds dad told me to just ground them all (so i did) now even to it runs something in the area that i grounded the wires (by the starter) is smoking.

- also on a side note while its running it sounds like something is rubbing bad, i dont see anything but it could it be something with the rockers? i followed the torque specs and didnt mess the order up of the push rods up but i still want to ask about that cause i wasnt too shure i was doing it the right way.

- i didnt leave it running for more than a few secconds because i didnt want to fock anything up before i got it back on the road. does anybody know of what these could be caused by, or where the wires off the negative battery termanal go, or even if any of these problems are tied together?

thanks for any help

gagt Mechanic
11-16-2008, 11:28 PM
the first sounds like a maf sensor or tps sensor. not 100 percent on the grounds but smoking wirers are bad.
why did you pull the motor and trans? where dose the rubbing noise sound like it is coming from?

GrandAmC9
11-16-2008, 11:42 PM
rebuilt motor and trans... pics in my car domain. any way to check the sensors before i determin thaat their bad? or just replace and see, as far as the rubbing noise i dont know cause im in the garage alone most of the time so when i first got it started i was in the car and turnd it off before going to sheck out the smoke and noise

imthgr8_1
11-17-2008, 04:29 PM
for the TPS, the blue wire coming off, tap into it with a DMM...and ground the black led....turn the key on and open and close the TB...the voltage should go up and down smoothly.

but it sounds like more of a vacuum leak to me.

make sure you dont have any grounds and positives mixed up, that would be bad, and could cause some smoking...any way you can get a quick vid of the rubbing noise?...or does it sound too serious to want to start back up until its fixed?

GrandAmC9
11-17-2008, 09:02 PM
well i replaced the tps today (figured 40 bucks at autozone minus a $20 gift card wuddnt be to bad) it idles normally now i have no idea about the negatives probably wrong because the battery wont charge while running i have to keep jumping it... :(
as for the rubbing noise it might be the starter still catching the flywheel but i dont really know yet. it started once and was running perfectly (no rubbing) but the next time i ran it it made the noise again... ill get a vid up shortly

gagt Mechanic
11-17-2008, 11:21 PM
make sure the you have out put from your alt, use a dmm. do you still have the smoking prob. a sticking starter will sound like grinding, same as trying to start the car when it is running.

GrandAmC9
11-18-2008, 04:41 PM
well turns out i was right about the starter i sprayed some grease on the starter where the gear spins against the flywheel and started the car. NO RUBBING!!!

but i still to figure out where the wires off the negative battery termanal go... battery died while car was running and the guages stopped working, so they all dont get grounded like my girlfreinds dad said. loke an idiot i didnt label the wires when i took them off. does anyone know?

gagt Mechanic
11-18-2008, 11:26 PM
there are two ground wires, one about two feet and one about eight in, the short one is a body ground, right in front of the battery, the other is an eng ground, by the starter. if your car died while running, your alt is not charging. your alt should put out about 14 volts dc. check your fuses also.

GrandAmC9
11-19-2008, 01:39 AM
alright then most of what i have is correct, i think i messed up the fusable link that goes from the alternator to starter, i had it on the ground post on the starter i changed it to the positive. ill see if the battery will stay charged with that otherwise ill have to do something about the alternator

GrandAmC9
11-20-2008, 11:40 PM
ya it was the fusable link keeping my charging system from working and i had to get a new starter too but after all that it finally runs great... ill get pics and a vid up soon of the exhaust with the new zzp cat'd downpipe along with the olf flowmaster